Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two o more browsers open

Hello!

In the Aperture manual says that working with two or more browsers open, you can set different display options for each panel, easily copy or transfer content between project easily. I tried to, but it is impossible, how can you do?

The Aperture Manual say this:

User uploaded file

When you select an item in the Library inspector and then Option-click a second item, Aperture splits the Browser into two panes and shows thumbnails for both items. You can select images in either pane and see the selections in the Viewer. You can also set different display options for each pane. For example, one pane may show images in grid view and the other in list view. You may find that working with multiple Browser panes open allows you to easily copy or transfer the contents of one item in the Library inspector to another. You can also open multiple items in the Library inspector and display their contents in a single Browser.

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 5:23 AM

The manual is exact, but in its specificity may mislead.

When the manual says "You may find that working with multiple Browser panes open allows you to easily copy or transfer the contents of one item in the Library inspector to another", you need to add emphasis to " ...in the Library inspector ... ". As you have no doubt realized, you cannot cut-and-paste or drag-and-drop between Browser windows. You _must_ use the container names in the Library tab of the Inspector as the destination of these operations.

Note that the container names in the Library follow the same highlighting convention as Images in a Browser: highlight indicates "selected"; bold indicates "Primary selection".

Special note for those who are disappointed at the change from having the double-clicked Project in Project View _not_ select the Project in the Library tab of the Inspector (the change happened secretly at, afaik, v. 3.3): if after double-clicking a Project in Project view you "{Option}+click" any container in the Library tab of the Inspector, Aperture will then show both containers selected in the Library tab of the Inspector.

Another change I just noticed is that when I select List view in any Browser, all Browsers change to List view. This, too, was not the case previously. You can still cycle through the three viewing modes, and change the size of thumbnails, independently for each open Browser.

Of some interest: my top-wanted feature is to be able to right-click an Image and "Show in Project in new Browser".

Post back if none of that answers you query, and with any other observations about this.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2012 5:23 AM in response to iHeylen

The manual is exact, but in its specificity may mislead.

When the manual says "You may find that working with multiple Browser panes open allows you to easily copy or transfer the contents of one item in the Library inspector to another", you need to add emphasis to " ...in the Library inspector ... ". As you have no doubt realized, you cannot cut-and-paste or drag-and-drop between Browser windows. You _must_ use the container names in the Library tab of the Inspector as the destination of these operations.

Note that the container names in the Library follow the same highlighting convention as Images in a Browser: highlight indicates "selected"; bold indicates "Primary selection".

Special note for those who are disappointed at the change from having the double-clicked Project in Project View _not_ select the Project in the Library tab of the Inspector (the change happened secretly at, afaik, v. 3.3): if after double-clicking a Project in Project view you "{Option}+click" any container in the Library tab of the Inspector, Aperture will then show both containers selected in the Library tab of the Inspector.

Another change I just noticed is that when I select List view in any Browser, all Browsers change to List view. This, too, was not the case previously. You can still cycle through the three viewing modes, and change the size of thumbnails, independently for each open Browser.

Of some interest: my top-wanted feature is to be able to right-click an Image and "Show in Project in new Browser".

Post back if none of that answers you query, and with any other observations about this.

Two o more browsers open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.