Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Signature capture - change color?

Using Preview in Lion (10.7.x) it is possible to capture one's signature to digitally sign a PDF.

Is it possible to insert the captured signature in a DIFFERENT color? It always inserts as black. When first inserting the signature, it is possible to change the color. However, the color returns to black after being saved.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2,8 GHz i7, 4 GB DDR3

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 8:33 AM

It's very simple.

Choose the signature and enter it...it will be in black.

Go back to the toolbar, and right next to the "S" for signature is a rectangle which is the color picker!

5 replies

Nov 21, 2012 11:39 AM in response to Rick Newton

If only it were that simple! That's exactly what I did. As one would expect, the color changed, right there on the screen. Happy as I was to see how easy it was, I saved, closed. Upon re-opening the PDF, the signature was black, not blue.

Did you try it? Did it work for you? I'm far from a newbie, but that doesn't mean I didn't do something correclty. For the life of me, I can't see what it could have been.

Any ideas?

Feb 28, 2013 1:33 AM in response to rminot

It doesn't seem to be possible on Preview as is. However there is a way around which isn't too complicated (atleast for me). Once you've signed in the colour of your preference and it looks good on the screen, do the following:

1. On the top menu, go to File>Take Screen Shot>From Selection. It will prompt you to make a selection.

2. At this point, select the entire page of your document. Make sure to select the entire page to maintain the original page dimensions. If the original page is portrait, rotate it so you can see the entire page on your screen without minimising it too much. This will open a new file in preview with your screen shot selection.

3. Now save this new file. By default it saves it in png format, however you can select pdf as the format to save in. If you had to rotate the page as I have described in step 2, you can rotate it back to it's original layout

The quality of your signature will be exactly how you see it, if at the time of selecting the screenshot, your view is zoomed to 100% or close to it (that is why I suggest rotating portrait pages to landscape).

Hope this helps!

Signature capture - change color?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.