Skip navigation

Contacts does not print out in alphabetical order

3099 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2013 4:21 PM by Ocalamarilyn RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Derryl S Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 30, 2012 1:50 PM

Has something happened to printing lists from Contacts? Don't know if it is Contacts or Mountain Lion.

I have not printed a listin in ML before, but in former versions, an alphabetical listing was generated in alpha order. Now printing a list gives the names out of alpha order. This is the case of a group or All Contacts. This is not just my machine, but another computer in the house running the lastest software.

I find nothing in the printing details to select alpha order. The Contacts is set up to view in last name-first name order.

I also checked all boxes in atributes to see if there was a strange happening there, but the sorted order is identical. It is not sorting by first name either.

Contact preferences is at show first name before last name andsort by last name. I have changed those parameters and there is no effect of the order of names in printing.

Pocket address book prints in alpha order. Mailing labels prints out of order and left off some of the first of the listing. Listing all contacts is also out of order.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 2.8 GHz Quad core, 6 GB ram
  • kattnip333 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Oct 30, 2012 6:28 PM (in response to Derryl S)

amazing.... when I had SnowLeopard it printed fine even wih pictures.  Never printed in Lion.  Now am making a list in Mountain Lion and I have the same problem.  The labels and envelopes print preview show 174 conacts all in alphabetical order but the list shows  348 contacts all out of order and with no pictures.  Can'f find an answer anywhere.  Hope someone responds fairly soon.

• UncleJim500 Calculating status...
    Nov 15, 2012 1:26 PM (in response to Derryl S)

I have identcal problem with Mountain Lion.  Printed out 2011 Christmas List last year with Snow Leopard it was in alphabetical order. This year it is in random order and no adjustments in preferences corrects the situation. KInd of hard to work with list when it is not in alphabetical order.

• Ocalamarilyn Calculating status...
    Nov 23, 2012 8:21 AM (in response to Derryl S)

I am having exactly the same problem and have tried many different solutions.  I've been printing out a list of contacts with their emails in alphabetical order.  It's been working just fine until now with Mountain Lion.  Only mailing labels and pocket address book are in abc order. Is there a solution coming in the near future?

• Skooff Calculating status...
    Dec 15, 2012 5:29 PM (in response to Derryl S)

Me, too.  Kinda wierd!  Well, it caused me to look closely at my Christmas card list -- which I probably haven't done in several years!  But my husband and I made changes to the hard copy, and now I have to search for each one to find it in Contacts and fix it.  Grrr...

• macjack Level 9 Level 9 (50,445 points)
    Dec 15, 2012 6:47 PM (in response to Derryl S)

This is a known bug.

A workaround may be you can print a list using "Pocket AddressBook" setting.

• macjack Level 9 Level 9 (50,445 points)
    Dec 15, 2012 9:19 PM (in response to Derryl S)

Yes, unfortunately Apple isn't reading this, so all we can do is send feeback and bug reports and hope it gets resolved soon.

• Ocalamarilyn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jan 11, 2013 3:07 AM (in response to Derryl S)

I just found a way to print contacts in ABC order.  I signed in to my iCloud account online, then went to Contacts. I selected the contact group I wanted to print on the left page (example Xmas card list).  On the right page at the bottom, I clicked on the gear symbol and clicked "select all", then clicked again on "print". When the print window appeared, I saved the file to PDF, just to see if the information was in ABC.  It was! 

Ocalamarilyn ....You are a genius!!!!!  Finally I was able to print the complete contact's book alphabetically....  I've been trying to figure that one out since I installed Mountain Lion!!!!........ of course you can only print a list this way but it doesn't matter with lables or envelopes cause they don't have to be in any sort of order.  You don't get a chance to select the items you want to show but who cares for now.  thank you, thank you thank you.....  I hope everyone who has written to this feed sees your reply.....  You made my day!!!!!  by the way, do you live in Fl cause I'm in Summerfield.

• Ocalamarilyn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jan 11, 2013 4:52 AM (in response to kattnip333)

Yes, I'm in Ocala.  We're neighbors!  You might be interested in joining my OMUG group.  We get a wealth of information on many topics.  Here's the website. http://ocalamug.org.  We meet on the 2nd Tuesday of the month.  The website has all the info and lots of tech tips.  On the 3rd Saturday, there's a workshop from 10 to noon.  Lots of basics.  Maybe we'll get to meet someday.  Glad I could be of help to you. 

I head up the del webb group in Summerfield and some of my people go to your group.  I'll make a point of coming to one of your meetings. 

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.