Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac pro Slow Performance

Hello Everyone,

I made a similar post about this subject not to long ago but now im back in the same situation. I will just recap everything that i did and hear your guys thoughts on what i did.

So to make a long story short.. I have a 2009 imac that contains all of my applications that i use on a daily basis. I then bought a 2012 12-core Mac Pro. Instead of being patient i wanted to start using this machine right away. I then set up migration assistant on both machines and literally copied everything over from my imac to my newly purchased mac pro. I later realized that this was a bad idea because it brought over boat loads of crap that was not being used (essentially 700GB) My computer was running very slow, defiantly not at speed of what a 12-core should be running at. so i started cleaning it up to the best that i could and was able to clear up 200 or so GB's. I still was not satisfied by the results i was getting. I kept getting beach balls and slow performance overall. so i went out and bought a 120GB SSD drive and figured that would be my best solution... well certainly it was at first. I then cleaned up my applications folder to clear up room in that folder. so after that was done i used migration assistant to transfer JUST the APPLICATIONS over to the SSD. After that was complete i then received a ton of crap on on the SSD. On boot up im not getting a pop up that is attached to a program i use to have on the iMac and is started to run slower than before the migration to the SSD...

So basically this is where i stand. I am thinking about just starting over from scratch and only bring over the files and applications that i need on the SSD. What is the best way to take applications off of my imac and put them onto my mac pro (meaning without migration assistant) The reason i need to transfer them over is because i do not have all of the applications on CD form to just re-install again. However, if i need to get the applications from the CD's for this to work then i will just have tp go through with that extra bit of trouble to do it the right way.

The whole purpose of this is trying to clean up my computer and keep it as organized as possible.

If anyone has any recommendations for the best way to perform this operation, its greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!

Final Cut Pro 7

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 3:30 PM

9 replies

Oct 31, 2012 5:07 AM in response to SonyGuy11

A clean install along with Setup Assistant (or Migration Assistant) really is good and important way to go.

Too many issues moving to a newer OS and it has been made easy.

You can CCC clone the home folders elsewhere.

You can CCC the system and apps to another drifve and retain just your home library (the part that is now hidden which is annoying to some and taking too invasive into user space as if we can't and don't need access?)

~/Library

The only apps you can are ones you may as well just download and mount and drag, the type that lack and don't need to install anything anywheres but the package of the app itself.

Mac pro Slow Performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.