Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thinking about a server

I have just purchased a new Mac and have old Mac mini with nothing to do. I was thinking about running a server on the Mac mini. I currently have formatted and reloaded Snow leopard 10.6.8 OS on old Mac mini. What will I need to have this machine run as a server in my house. Will I need to download Mountain Lion for old Mac mini? and then download OS X Server? I want the server to manage my entire network of apple products and VPN back into my network when needed.

I want to know what it will take to get this up and running. Since I just purchased a new Mac and have Mountain Lion preinstalled, will I have to purchase Mountain Lion for old Mac mini then purchase OS X for old Mac also?

Advise needed. TIA

Bill

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 4:05 PM

6 replies

Oct 30, 2012 4:46 PM in response to Bill260

I've had that same curiosity myself, but discovered that server admin can be a pretty big deal, plus, there are configuration challenges with router and ISP, and maintaining a static IP address, etc. Depends on how much of a learning curve you need and are willing to tolerate.

You might want to look into using iCloud, and check iPhoto help re sharing. Less hassle.

Oct 30, 2012 5:08 PM in response to Bill260

I know the feeling. (My thrifty side just bristles at having anything unused.) I have a 2008 Mini myself which I use as a host for movies, including ripped versions of my DVDs, with an HDMI cable to my TV. I can then simply switch the TV input and view movies from the Mini, or launch Safari and watch web videos on big flat screen.

All this can be shared locally and is accessible to all 7 Macs in our household.

Oct 30, 2012 5:39 PM in response to Bill260

Mostly use as a hobby,interested in what I can do and would like to have family members reach my server. post personal photo site for family and for family reunion.

Making it a remotely-accessible web server, available for members of your extended family, is not going to be very realistic. It is technically possible, but requires some customization of your network hardware. (Not all cable or DSL modems may be compatible with this.) It will require that your internet service provider (ISP) assigns you a static IP address, which most ISPs will charge extra for. (Without a static IP, your address may change, requiring you to tell everyone what the new address is every time.) Alternately, you could pay for DynDNS to give you a domain name for a dynamic (ie, changing) IP address. And once you have all this in place, if your server starts to get too much traffic, your ISP may notice and cut you off. Running a public web server is not something that the average ISP will allow without significant additional payment.

That said, you can do a lot on your local network with the Mini. Hook up a big external drive and use it for Time Machine backups for all your other Macs. Put a music library on it in iTunes and share it with all your other computers via Home Sharing. Get an Apple TV to stream movies and music from the iTunes library on the Mini. (Check the requirements on that, you need a certain minimum version of iTunes for streaming to an Apple TV. Also, that becomes much more enticing if you rip your DVD collection and put it in iTunes on the Mini, which is the only way to wirelessly stream such video to an Apple TV.) Put important files that your whole family needs to share on it and allow the other machines to access it through file sharing. There are many possibilities.

Thinking about a server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.