Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where to find out screen resolution in iPad

iPad with Retina Dispaly, Screen Resolution is: 2048-by-1536

Can I actually see this resolution somewhere in the IPad?

Settings-> General->......??

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 3:23 AM

Try this:

http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/

11 replies

Nov 3, 2012 7:45 AM in response to Diavonex

Actually I had gone to purchase the Pad3. But I could not satisfy when I saw the same resolution of both the pad 2 & 3.

I asked the apple sale person to show me the display resolution in both the pads. He told there is no such app by default. Then I browse www.whatismyscreenresolution.com, it shows the same resolution i.e. 768x1024 for both Pad 2 & 3.

Can you pls tell me

1. How can I see the screen resolution while I was in the Apple store, before purchasing the Pad.

2. How can I get advantage of Retina display over Pad2.

Thanks.

Nov 3, 2012 2:13 PM in response to Dev !

I would also like to know why my iPad 4 displays a screen resolution from the site. I thought maybe it was just that the browser only dislays that resolution, but I just tried my imac on the same site in Safari, and it shows my resolution to be 1920x1080. Why doesn't the site show the iPad 4's higher resolution and instead shows 1024x768?

I'm sure there's a simple explanation, but it doesn't make sense for the iPad 2 to show 1024x768, the iMac to show 1980x1020, but the iPad 4 also 1024x768?

Nov 4, 2012 1:35 AM in response to skiphunt

Hi,

If you connect your iMac to your HDTV then you can adjust the screen resolution from 1024x768 and higher....

Can you adjust the same when you connect Retina display enabled iPad3 or 4 when you connect to HDTV?

This question came to my mind when I red your reply. Or the maximum resolution you will get 1024x768...

What do you thank.

Dec 9, 2014 4:47 AM in response to skitrent

"Check with another web site: http://ocupado.eu/info it will give the correct actual screen resolution of the device (and is optimized for mobile devices)."

That is correct. But the issue is, for retina screens, full resolution on a small iphone or ipad would render everything too small, text wouldn't be readable, so Apple run their devices as a "lower resolution" example 2 retina pixels as 1, making everything the same size but with much better sharpness (but not for non-scalable images unless the web page has a x2 size image for retina).
So if your model comes with a retina screen, the high resolution is probably right, but it will still tell web pages and treat web content as if it was lower, to make everything functional.

Where to find out screen resolution in iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.