Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini drops HDMI signal, can't screen share in, have to reboot, help!

Setup:

MacMini (Mid 2010, 10.6.8) -> HDMI out to Onkyo Receiver -> HDMI out to Sharp HDTV

My MacMini has started exhibiting some strange behaviour if I leave it running over night. Typically I will shut my receiver and TV down before I go to sleep, but leave my mac mini on to run updates, downloads or backups. When I turn on the receiver and tv the next day, my Receiver reads "No Signal" coming from the Mac Mini. The light on the mac mini is on and steady, so it's not asleep and hard drive's connected to the mac mini have their lights on and steady as well. The Onkyo receiver and TV work fine with everything else that's connected via HDMI (PS3/Xbox/Digital Cable Box), so I don't believe they are the culprits.

I also have a Macbook 4,1 running 10.6.8 that I've tried using Screen Sharing to access the Mac Mini. Screen Sharing just hangs after accepting my login credentials, no window pops up, but if I click on the drop down menu "Window" the computer I'm trying to access is there with a check box next to it.

I've tried disconnecting the HDMI cord from the Mac Mini and reconnecting it, but nothing changes.

In the end I resort to hard rebooting the Mac Mini, potentially interrupting anything happening at the time. Once it boots up everything is fine... until night comes and I fall asleep...

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 4:21 AM

2 replies

Oct 31, 2012 7:28 PM in response to jj_sullivan

Left the machine running while I went to the office today and now that I've returned home, the same issue has occurred again.

This time my bluetooth keyboard and trackpad are also now not paired with the Mac Mini. This hasn't happened before.

Oddly I am able to login to the machine via Finder and browse files on the Mac Mini and connected Hard drives. Screen Sharing, however, continues to hang after login without displaying a window.

Resorting to holding the power button down on the back again...

Mac Mini drops HDMI signal, can't screen share in, have to reboot, help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.