Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal hotspot only works sometimes

I have the iPhone 5 (iOS6) on AT&T with their new 'Data share' plan which allows me to tether my data. The problem is that it only works sometimes! There does not seem to be any reason why it only works about half of the time that I turn it on. And when the wifi hotspot doesn't work, neither does the USB or Bluetooth tethering.

When it doesn't work, I try restarting my phone and even that doesn't fix the problem.. it just somehow fixes itself after a day usually which is very annoying because I depend on the hotspot feature a lot.

Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? Or is there another app I can install to enable it?

Thanks,

John

iPhone 5, iOS 6, Carrier - AT&T

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 5:37 AM

5 replies

Oct 27, 2017 8:36 AM in response to The6uest

I know this was a long time ago, but I still have an Apple S5, and I have the same exact problems. One day it'll connect just fine and 70% of the time it won't. It's extremely annoying and it usually wastes your whole day because you can't get anything done. I'm sick of it, actually. I've been trying to get help for two weeks and no one has been "correct" yet. I wish someone who knew what they were talking about would tell me how to fix this problem. Period.

Oct 31, 2012 5:54 AM in response to The6uest

The hotspot connection will only be as good as your cellular connection - you will lose connectivity if the signal drops and it may not automatically reconnect - this is especially true when you are travelling on a road for instance - I also understand that it will timeout due to inactivity and will not be active even though it is shown as "on" in settings - if yours is not working in spite of a strong cellular signal then I suggest that you take it to an Apple store and have it checked out.

Oct 31, 2012 6:18 AM in response to CRMDVM

It's not the signal because I have 3-5 bars when I use it and everything else works fine on the phone. This isn't when I'm traveling either but if I can't fix I'll take it to an Apple store.

wjosten, I have tried just about everything on that link except for restoring my phone so I guess that is the next step. I was hoping Apple would release an update soon that would fix this issue but it seems as though it's only happening to me (at least I couldn't find another when I searched).

Oct 19, 2014 7:58 AM in response to The6uest

I agree, this is a problem. iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s have all had same issue. And everytime something does not work as it should, Apple's response is to do a restore. My app works, but I have to run through a series of on, off, disable my Wifi on the MAC or PC, back on, etc. I am not sure if the problem is the phone or the Mac. The Mac shows other devices, but the iPhone is not in the list. If I reboot the phone, sometimes it works. Always seems to be ok with Bluetooth or cable, but seriously frustrating. Restored phone because of other issues (that the restore did not have anything to do with) and this trouble still there. About a year ago, I had to (according to apple) restore to defaults (calendar issue that was NOT resolved either). This also did NOT help the issue. 😠

Personal hotspot only works sometimes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.