Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2012 7:18 AM by Tom Wolsky
Mike Werner Level 1 (0 points)

I got the latest version of FCP, made a test video, added some sounds of seaguls I found with FCP, uploaded it to Youtube, and immediately got in trouble with Youtube. They said there was a copyright claim by EMI. Since there's no music at all, I did a reclaim. It jsut came back saying that EMI re-instated its claim for copyright infrigement.

Now I had to sit through a video and quizz about copyright before I could get to my videos. The "copyrighted" was taken down. The only thing I can think about is that the sounds I used that came with FCP were not royalty free, and if that's the case, I've got a problem now.

So, can I legally use the sounds that come with FCP without the EMis of this world claiming copyright?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion
  • Luis Sequeira1 Level 6 (9,550 points)

Unfortunately, there have been quite a number of BOGUS copyright claims by music companies, which are harassing unsuspecting users (of course, there are also abundant LEGITIMATE claims).

If you search a bit, you'll find examples abound in the internet. SME in particular has been notorious in this regard. I have suffered one of their ridiculous claims, and I am far from alone.

They have claimed copyright on the "music" in a little video of mine. I have contested the claim, because the audio was generated from a MIDI file (i.e. a digital representation of the score of a 200+ years old piece).

Yet they still claim it is a performance by a world renowned pianist for which they own the copyright.

• Mike Werner Level 1 (0 points)

Yeah, Youtube uses software, and does not actually look or listen to the video. Since there was no usic whatsoever, and this is the 2nd time it got rejected, my only thought was that the sound effects were copyrighted, although I would not think Apple would put these on their distribution. But it's the only thing I can think of.

If Apple indeed put copyrighted material on FCP, then it's an enormous problem. If not, the problem remains with Youtube, pandering to the studios.

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 (115,605 points)

The music and sound effects are copyright free, purchased and controlled by Apple. The problem is with YouTube. I'm surprised the two companies haven't gotten into this more given their current animosity.

• circulair@ Level 1 (5 points)

I have experienced this on occasions, although on one Family Video I did accompany it with some Led Zeppelin "Tangerine". It does help if you incude a credit/credits to the actual musicins and/or providers at the begining or end.

• Ian R. Brown Level 6 (18,615 points)

As others have said, all the audio effects and music clips provided by Apple are copyright free.

If your only audio is of seagulls I can't see how anyone , least of all EMI, can claim copyright of that.

Was it some world famous virtuoso seagull that participated in the recording?

Or in its infinite wisdom did EMI mistakenly assume that it was George Segal  and not a seagull?

It's gotten worse. After the counter claim, Youtube has withdrawn the video AND suspended me for copyright violation since now EMI claim copyright of THE VIDEO.

Here's the video on Vimeo

http://vimeo.com/52546376

It was the first test I made with new new camera. If EMI would produce these kind of videos, they'd be bankrupt overnight.

I already did 2 appeals but nothing happens. If a human being sees the video, they'd realize how stupid their mistakes are.

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 (115,605 points)

If you can afford it, talk to a lawyer. You'll be surprised how reasonable companies become when injunctions start being filed.

• AppleMan1958 Level 7 (27,415 points)

See this User Tip on this issue. The User Tip is for iMovie, but the issues are the same. Be sure to follow the link to Larry Jordan's site. He has some good info on why this is such a difficult issue to solve. There is also info on how to dispute the claim.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4201

• Afterimages Level 1 (80 points)

Yeah - I wish more people would turn their backs on Google's stuff.  Too big for their britches.  Go with vimeo...

rick

• Karsten Schlüter Level 7 (32,207 points)

example:

Rihanna's Umbrella is using Apple's loop 'Vintage Funk Kit 03'

a bad programmed song-identifier will claim ©, if you're using it too

read 'Background':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella_(song)

for the whole story.

many other 'Apple loops' can be found in popular music …

• Paulbernard Level 1 (0 points)

You used FCPX sound effects provided by Apple. You should contact Apple legal and get their support as it their effects which have causes you this problem.

Yeah, except it's going to be a major international hassle.. I live in France, Youtube in USA, EMI in the UK. Cost are going to be enormous...

Interesting points, but have done 3 re-claims already, the last one took 3 months for them to answer.

Problem with Vimeo it cost money, and doesnt' generate any...

Previous 1 2 Next