Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sounds included not royalty free ?

I got the latest version of FCP, made a test video, added some sounds of seaguls I found with FCP, uploaded it to Youtube, and immediately got in trouble with Youtube. They said there was a copyright claim by EMI. Since there's no music at all, I did a reclaim. It jsut came back saying that EMI re-instated its claim for copyright infrigement.

Now I had to sit through a video and quizz about copyright before I could get to my videos. The "copyrighted" was taken down. The only thing I can think about is that the sounds I used that came with FCP were not royalty free, and if that's the case, I've got a problem now.

So, can I legally use the sounds that come with FCP without the EMis of this world claiming copyright?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 7:02 AM

17 replies

Oct 31, 2012 7:30 AM in response to Mike Werner

Unfortunately, there have been quite a number of BOGUS copyright claims by music companies, which are harassing unsuspecting users (of course, there are also abundant LEGITIMATE claims).

If you search a bit, you'll find examples abound in the internet. SME in particular has been notorious in this regard. I have suffered one of their ridiculous claims, and I am far from alone.

They have claimed copyright on the "music" in a little video of mine. I have contested the claim, because the audio was generated from a MIDI file (i.e. a digital representation of the score of a 200+ years old piece).

Yet they still claim it is a performance by a world renowned pianist for which they own the copyright.

Oct 31, 2012 7:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yeah, Youtube uses software, and does not actually look or listen to the video. Since there was no usic whatsoever, and this is the 2nd time it got rejected, my only thought was that the sound effects were copyrighted, although I would not think Apple would put these on their distribution. But it's the only thing I can think of.

If Apple indeed put copyrighted material on FCP, then it's an enormous problem. If not, the problem remains with Youtube, pandering to the studios.

Nov 10, 2012 3:50 AM in response to Mike Werner

As others have said, all the audio effects and music clips provided by Apple are copyright free.

If your only audio is of seagulls I can't see how anyone , least of all EMI, can claim copyright of that.

Was it some world famous virtuoso seagull that participated in the recording?

Or in its infinite wisdom did EMI mistakenly assume that it was George Segal and not a seagull?

Nov 10, 2012 4:04 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

It's gotten worse. After the counter claim, Youtube has withdrawn the video AND suspended me for copyright violation since now EMI claim copyright of THE VIDEO.

Here's the video on Vimeo

http://vimeo.com/52546376

It was the first test I made with new new camera. If EMI would produce these kind of videos, they'd be bankrupt overnight.

I already did 2 appeals but nothing happens. If a human being sees the video, they'd realize how stupid their mistakes are.

Nov 10, 2012 6:40 AM in response to Paulbernard

Yes, I was thinking that, but now that EMI claim my video, they can't help. It's like the NASA Mars lander that got a copyright claim against NASA. But Youtube doesn't learn from those bloopers. I relaize with millions of videos posted daily, it's difficult to answer individual claims, but still, they are the ones with egg on their face, while I lose readers.

Sounds included not royalty free ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.