1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 1:46 AM by stellamaris5
stellamaris5 Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)

Just spoke to Apple care and mine is currently in for the replacement.

I was curious to see what they are replacing it with and it wll be another Seagate, essentially like for like.

All they are saying the Seagate's had a faulty batch and that the new one should be fine.

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • 1. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme
    rkaufmann87 Level 8 Level 8 (42,145 points)

The new ones will be fine, don't worry about it. You can ask the store you took it to what brand they intend to install, once it is returned open System Information and you can tell the brand by clicking Serial-ATA listed under Hardware.

• 2. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme
    Paul_31 Level 6 Level 6 (12,765 points)

Not sure there is any certainty as to what drive you'll end up with. Mine was replaced with one of these:

APPLE HDD HUA722010CLA330

I've seen others on here mention that that's what they got and others saying they got another Seagate.

Got to say I'm pleased I had mine done as my Mac is really quiet now. I guess that over time I'd got used to the rumbling drive and thought it was normal .

• 3. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme

Yeah that's what I am worried about all the rumbling- they already have the part and confirmed it is another Seagate - was hoping for Hitachi as apparently any Seagate's are noisy...might be hear say though.

• 4. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme

Even if it is another Seagate I don't think you need to worry - the model they originally used has been updated and any issues resolved.

• 5. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme

Good news, had the new Hdd in now, now running almost silently, no more rumbling noises.

Did a system restore from the HD recovery partition on the time machine backup as per Pondinis instruction, took a while but worked great.

The only thing it seems to be doing now is wanting to do a full time machine backup. As my disk is quite small it is running the cleanup of of old backups now which seems to be taking a long time.

• 6. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme

Glad it's sorted. I seem to remember I had a similar Time Machine situation. I decided to erase the TM and start over with it - once I knew I was up and running and all the data on my HD was intact. I also keep a couple of clones so I'm not only reliant on TM.

• 7. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme

I might do that as well if it takes much longer. I am happy to have the latest backup anyway.

What's he best way to start from scratch? How do I wipe the external drive?

• 8. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme

All done, removed Time Mchine disk, deleted everything and started from scratch, it did a full backup in no time now all back to normal. Beautiful! I love OS X!

P.S. actually they didnt put another Seagate in, it Apple HUA something, can't remember everything now.

Quiet as a mouse, no fans, no rambling etc.

• 9. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme

Good when it has a happy ending . I think we've ended up with the same drive as in my first post.

• 10. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme
    babowa Level 7 Level 7 (23,285 points)

Mine was replaced with another Seagate and it is quiet as a mouse......

• 11. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme

Hi babowa

I'm delighted to have had the drive replaced on my late '09 - might make it last until the new iMacs are released in 2014/5. I don't really need a wafer thin (at the edges) desktop as the only time I lift it is when I take it in to have the HD changed .

Paul

• 12. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme

Ahh, but one does not lift this by oneself - one has the AASP come to their home and lift it for them. They will also return it to its previous location after doing the replacement. This would be compliments of Applecare in home service.

Mine is the top of the line (better benchmarks than the 2011s) mid 2010 purchased this year (yes! 2012) as a refurb and covered by Applecare until 2015. And, after checking the new models, it may be my last iMac. I've checked the new Minis and that may be a possibility since they are now offering an optional Fusion drive with it (the slow 5400 rpm was what always stopped me from buying one).

• 13. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme

I was within 2 weeks of the end of my AppleCare but getting a tech to come to my house is a non-starter. There and back twice - 400kms. Shame AppleCare doesn't include fuel cover .

• 14. Re: Seagate HDD replacement programme

400 km......... that would be a problem! In the US you have to live within 50 miles (80 km) of an AASP to qualify for in home service - fortunately I do!

1 2 Previous Next