Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to repair volume

I am using Onyx to fix up my Mac. It is running slow. When I installed Onyx, it stopped and gave me a box that said something about needing to repair volume. It told me to get my Mac install CD, go to Utilities and then to Repair Disc. But when I inserted my install CD all I can do is install. How else can I do this. And oddly, when I inserted the CD, the Onyx box appeared offering my Onyx choices. So I'm not sure what I should be doing at this point. It also instructed me to back up. So not sure how to proceed. Thanks

Running OSX 10.6.8

mac pro

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:29 AM

Insert the Install DVD and boot from it by holding down the C key prior to the startup chime. Then, in the menu options you will find lots of goodies like password reset and the much desired Disk Repair. Run that so you can do a Repair Disk instead of just a Verify Disk. If errors are found, as will probably be the case given OnyX's warnings, repeat the Repair Disk activity until no more are found. Should also do a Repair Disk Permissions for good measure, although you only need to do this once.

The reason you need to restart with the DVD's mini-OS is that the hard disk has to be modified to do the repairs. And this can't be done if the Mac is using it as the boot source. Note that booting from an optical disk takes LOTS of time. Be patient.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2012 8:29 AM in response to originale

Insert the Install DVD and boot from it by holding down the C key prior to the startup chime. Then, in the menu options you will find lots of goodies like password reset and the much desired Disk Repair. Run that so you can do a Repair Disk instead of just a Verify Disk. If errors are found, as will probably be the case given OnyX's warnings, repeat the Repair Disk activity until no more are found. Should also do a Repair Disk Permissions for good measure, although you only need to do this once.

The reason you need to restart with the DVD's mini-OS is that the hard disk has to be modified to do the repairs. And this can't be done if the Mac is using it as the boot source. Note that booting from an optical disk takes LOTS of time. Be patient.

Oct 31, 2012 8:45 AM in response to Courcoul

I know this is dumb but I couldn't hold down the C key and get what you are describing. I just got the constant chiming and nothing happened. So at exactly what point do I hold down the key. Before I insert disk, while it's whirring? When the box appears on the screen Seems my only choices are to click on install, DVD or CD sharing set up, optional installs or instructions. Which do I choose? And where does the holding down C key come into play with these chocies? Thanks

Oct 31, 2012 8:57 AM in response to originale

With the Mac already on, insert the DVD, let it mount and pop up on the desktop. Then do a Restart and press and hold down the C key before the startup chime sounds. That key will tell the firmware bootloader to start the system found on the optical drive instead of the hard drive.

Alternately, hold down the Option key. In this case, you will be rewarded with a list of the boot options, from where you can manually pick the optical drive.

When it finishes loading from the DVD, look in the Utilities menu.

Oct 31, 2012 9:41 AM in response to originale

You'll have to get past the splash screen, possibly a language selection screen and end up on the main installer window. Ignore and do not use the install options. What you want is to get to that stage, where the menu bar pops up and gives you all the tools you need.

Sorry for not being completely specific, but the last time I visited my SL install DVD was almost two years ago, so memory is kinda fuzzy nowadays.

how to repair volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.