Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parental Control Time Limits are not working

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion both of my boys are able to stay on the computer all day. I've got both of them set for 1.5 hours and the bedtimes on. I saw a similar post talking about turning off the bedtimes and then the limits would work but that isn't working for me.

I've applied the latest update that fixed the issue with blocking SSL sites. I thought that might also address the time limits.

Any ideas? Or am I stuck with keeping a timer going on my own with the kids.

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz, iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 12:42 PM

4 replies

Aug 23, 2013 10:20 PM in response to mephisto_dark

After a bit of messing about I found a fix that worked in my case. My son's account wasn't logging out at the time I had indicated (9 PM) and instead logged out at midnight. I tried trashing the parental controls file for his account: Macintosh HD/Library/Managed Preferences/(user name)/com.apple.familycontrols.timelimits.v2.plist and resetting his parental controls, then rebooted. Unfortunately that didn't help. I later reset the overall account preferences, which did the trick.

I moved the file Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.accounts.plist to the desktop and restarted the Finder (option+command+escape, then force quit the finder). The file regenerated itself in the Preferences folder, and when I made changes in parental controls for my son's account, they finally worked.

Hope this works for others too.

Parental Control Time Limits are not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.