Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 8 freezes up completely with Google Chrome and Noogra Nuts

When I boot into Windows 8 and try to play Noogra Nuts, or use Google Chrome for more than a minute, my computer completely freezes up, and I have to reboot by holding down the power button. I'm wondering if this is related to Boot Camp drivers. I posted in the Microsoft Community and they defer to Boot Camp being the problem.

Specs:

• Google Chrome Version 23.0.1271.52 beta-m
  • Noogra Nuts
  • Boot Camp 3.3
  • Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 6.2.9200
  • Apple MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,5)

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:54 PM

5 replies

Nov 1, 2012 6:05 PM in response to mcandre

Update:

I was having the same issue too, and thought I would ask the above questions to see what our similarities were. My symptoms were the same: intermitant freezing which required my to hard power off my laptop. I have a different model though (Macbook 5,1) which is technically not supported by bootcamp with Windows 8 64-bit. Also, I have bootcamp 4.0 drivers installed.

I didn't think that chrome was the issue, as it froze at other times too. After uninstalling PowerPlan Assistant, I have not had my machine freeze for almost the past hour (and counting) whereas before it would freeze after almost exactly 10 minutes. And yes, I even tried installing "Noogra Nuts" and did not have any issues.

If someone is having the same issues but does NOT have PPA intalled, a post with this info would be appreciated as I did a couple other things that probably weren't the cause (but not sure).

TL/DR: Try removing PowerPlan Assistant if you are experiencing the same issues

Nov 2, 2012 8:19 AM in response to mcandre

To get the bootcamp drivers, open the bootcamp assistant in lion or mountain lion (looks like you're running the latter?). There should be an option to get the drivers either on the main winodw or in the menu. Since I did not have bootcamp installed on the mac I used, it was one of the first options for me.

Bootcamp in 10.7 and 10.8 is a little different. You'll have the option to burn the drivers to a CD or load them onto a USB drive. I will say this, I initially upgraded to windows 8 with the option to keep my files and setting as well. When you do this, a lot of the original apple drivers won't/don't work properly. My recommendation is that you completely uninstall the old bootcamp drivers before installing the new ones.

Other than that, I am changing different things on my computer to see if I can get mine to start freezing again. We may have had the same symptoms to different problems, but it seems like the same issue.

Windows 8 freezes up completely with Google Chrome and Noogra Nuts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.