Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro in "Poor Thermal Condition"

Problem: MBP turns off with 5 or so minutes every time it is turned on when plugged in when the battery is not fully charged. I am able to use it only when it is unplugged or plugged in and fully charged. When charging (and computer off or sleeping) the indicator light on the charger switches between red and green. This started a few months ago.

Stats: MacBook Pro 15 inch (Early 2011). Upgraded to 8 GB memory in the summer and a 7200rpm 750GB Hard Drive (serial-ATA). OSX Mountain Lion.

I have determined that it is not due to the charger by trying other chargers. I brought it to my University's tech store and they could not determine the problem after running basic diagnostics. They did say it was not the hard drive and not the memory (although, who knows he was a student). I have tried putting the original hardware back in the MBP. Does not work.

I just tried backing up my computer to my Time Capsule and it said it did not do it "10 days ago because the computer was/in poor thermal condition"

Thoughts? Ideas? Answers?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), iOS 6

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 6:05 PM

Might be too early for this, but maybe you need a new battery.. or it coudl be the power regulator.. Click the battery icon and hold the option key down together.. does it say battery conditon "normal"? Also try to reset the smc...

5 replies

Nov 1, 2012 4:30 PM in response to herd1414

for MBPs you can remove the battery.. disconnect battery.. disconnect power soruce.. hold down power button for 10 seonds.. reassemble then restart.

for MBPs you cannot remove the battery..

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

MacBook Pro in "Poor Thermal Condition"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.