Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removed Superdrive. Slow booting.

Hi everybody,

Recently I removed SuperDrive from my Macbook 2009 Unibody (it jammed the DVD inside and stopped responding completely).

Poor Superdrive is now on permanent vacation in a landfill.

Anyway.

I run both 10.8 and Bootcamp XP. With Mountain Lion everything seems right.

But if booting XP, the initial EFI grey screen hangs for exactly 2:30-2:40 minutes. Then continues to boot normally.

Something is wrong with it. It feels like it's desperetely trying to enumerate the a gone Superdrive.

I tried resetting SMC and other tricks without any luck.

Any ideas how to fix it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 4:16 PM

8 replies

Oct 31, 2012 4:25 PM in response to AppleSupport2012

AppleSupport2012 wrote:

XP is looking for the 'superdrive' for bootup purposes, you must either find a way to negate it's search for the superdrive in windows setting or buy a new superdrive and install it. Thats all i can suggest for you sorry 😟 Hope this helped.

XP should not be looking for any drive that is not physically installed in the system. Actually XP shouldn't even be running under Mountain Lion. It must of been a carry over from Snow Leopard or even installed on the system when it had Leopard installed.

Get a virtual machine software program and Migrate that install of XP into a Virtual Machine. Then you can get rid of Boot Camp and run both OS X and Windows at the same time.

Removed Superdrive. Slow booting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.