Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to a local Wifi network that does *not* offer Internet Access

I'm supporting a training solution for one of my clients, where we use a local Wifi network that does not have any connection to the internet.

Before iOS 6 the devices connected easiliy to that network, now we have all kind of troubles. Devices need a lot of time to connect, or they drop the connection completely.

In my testing scenario I'm not able at all to connect to an isolated Wifi anymore - the device logs in to the WLan, but shortly after that it drops the connection. A ZDNet article mentions that the devices try to connect to http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html to check if the connection is valid. If they don't find it, it looks like they are dropping the connection completely.

Connecting to the server using iOS5 or any laptop doesn't show issues...

How to adress this? We're talking about hundreds of iPads a year. Do we have to move the solution to the internet (huge internal issue at the customer), or do we have to drop iPads from the scenario and look into alternative platforms?

Thanks for any input

Klaus

iPad 2, iOS 6

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 5:32 AM

4 replies

Nov 6, 2012 2:42 PM in response to lstroud

I'd report this as a bug.

Isn't there some builtin backup to the icloud for ipad settings? Perhaps this is interfering.

Some printers support ad hoc network. This means the printers create their own network.

Buy another box

"The xPrintServer-Network Edition is a 'plug-and-print' hardware print server for printing from Apple iOS devices running iOS version 4.2 or higher. The device is roughly the size of an iPhone and uses the iOS native print menu. It requires no additional applications, software downloads, or printer driver installations and automatically discovers available networked printers supporting JetDirect / AppSocket, LPD and IPP protocols."

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/cloud/cloud-devices/497-lantronix-shipping-airpri nt-server

Connecting to a local Wifi network that does *not* offer Internet Access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.