Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

Hi all,

I feel incredible frustrated for not knowing, but I'm not great with Macs in general and appreciate any help. I backed my computer up on my external hard drive via Time Machine and wanted to verify that the iphoto library was backed up as well. Here is the progression after I clicked on the Time Machine icon:

Macintosh HD --> users --> cl --> pictures --> iphoto library

When I go to the iphoto library I get the message "The iPhoto Library is a Time Machine backup, and so cannot be used as the main library. Relaunch iPhoto with <option> key held down to choose another library."

I am able to open my iphoto library when I relaunch it holding the "option" key down, but I wasn't sure if it was being launched from my computer or from the external. I realize there are other threads regarding the matter, but unfortunately they still did not answer my question as I have no idea what the message means. All I want is a definitive answer as to whether the iphoto library is now backed up on my external. Thanks in advance for your help and patience!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:36 AM

Yes. It is being backed up. You can Get Info on the library to verify the size. The library is a special folder called a package that is designed to prevent people from going inside and corrupting it, which is quite easy to do with and iPhoto library.

2 replies

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.