Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a negative consequence for using mini-HDMI to LCD TV often?

I am loving my new second monitor with my Macbook Pro (10.7.5 Mac OS X) 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 w/ 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Second monitor is an LCD TV at 1080p (although the quality on the image doesn't seem to be as good as the screen on the laptop itself.

Im wondering if there is a need to be concerned with the fact that the laptop is running significantly hotter than without the screen? I use this screen alot and it helps with productivity but Im kind of concerned that with the fan running all the time on my machine, it may lead to a physical malfuntion. Legitimate concern?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), mini-HDMI to HDMI cable to LCD TV

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 12:06 PM

1 reply

Nov 2, 2012 8:08 AM in response to mustafa17

Using an external monitor turns on the AMD discrete graphics card. That is why your MBP now runs hotter (the graphics chip is what is heating up). As long as you don't block the cooling vents, you are good to go. You should have no heating problems.

If the MBP actually overheats, it will shutdown. The fans will probably cycle up and down in speed as the GPU heats up and then cools back down .... This is normal, expected operation.

Is there a negative consequence for using mini-HDMI to LCD TV often?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.