Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does extending network also adds number of computers that can connect?

Since Airport Express can only accomodate 10 computers, if i extend my wifi using another Airport Express will it JUST EXPAND the range of wifi signal or will it also accomodate ADDITIONAL 10 computers making it a total of 20 computers all in all?

Is it same behavior if i use Airport Extreme?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 7:39 PM

4 replies

Nov 1, 2012 7:50 PM in response to AppleTree2012

Not sure which AirPort Express you are asking about here. Since June, the "new" AirPort Express will handle up to 50 wireless connections.

If you have an older version of the Express, it will handle 10 users. Adding a second older Express would add 10 more users for a total of 20.

But.....now you have 20 users all trying to share the same Internet connection. So, you will need to double your Internet connection plan speed if you want the network to run at approximately the same speeds. Otherwise, expect things to be significantly slower on the network if you simply add more devices and more users.

Since late 2007, new AirPort Extremes sold handle 50 wireless devices.

Nov 1, 2012 8:03 PM in response to AppleTree2012

Adding a second Express will provide more wireless coverage.

Adding more wireless devices will slow down your entire wireless network because all wireless devices must share the same Internet connection.

If you double the amount of wireless devices connecting, then the speed of your network will slow by 50%.

Remember, in order to gain something......you always have to give up something else.

Does extending network also adds number of computers that can connect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.