Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"cannot install OS X 10.6 on this computer"

Hi there,

So i 'erased' my harddrive through disc utility, resarted, and put my Snow Leopard disc 10.6.. ..it 'installed' and 'failed instal' > resarted, now it sais "cannot install OS X on this computer".."must have OS X 10.5 or higher installed already... "

please help!

thank you

omie'

MacBook

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 10:42 PM

11 replies

Nov 2, 2012 4:53 AM in response to Omieone

It sounds like your MacBook came with OS X 10.5 with an OS X 10.6 upgrade disk included when you bought your system. Are you using the gray-faced DVD that came with the system? Does the 10.6 DVD indicate it's an upgrade DVD?

If the 10.6 disk is an upgrade disk, then you'll either need to reinstall OS X 10.5 then use the upgrade disk or buy OS X 10.6 by calling the online Apple store, which in the US is 800-MY-APPLE, for $19.99.

Nov 3, 2012 5:53 PM in response to Dale Weisshaar

thanks BGreg and Dale, ...i don't have the grey cd, i only have the cpu drop-in dvd OS X 10.6 that came when i bought it...
( i didn't buy this machine new )
so i'm wondering short of buying the cd is there another way? ..i mean i was running everything on this machine fine until i downloaded a audio software that required me to restart.. when i did it repeated the "must restart" over and over again untill i was able to go to the disc utility and erase the hd hoping i can just install the os and aquire the programms again from the web..

anyway just hoping there's back end technique to "reset" it and install a new os..

Nov 3, 2012 6:34 PM in response to Omieone

If you don't have a bootable backup, you have a Macbook with no operating system on the hard drive, and an OS X 10.6 upgrade DVD that can't be used with an empty hard drive.

You don't have a backup, right? In that case, you're options are 1) Buy OS X 10.5 Leopard or 2) Buy OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. Apple still sells Snow Leopard for $19.99. They do not sell OS X 10.5, however, it can run (easily) over $100, and even over $200, from online vendors.

Nov 4, 2012 2:17 PM in response to Omieone

. The Snow Leopard 10.6 DVD should still be available at this time from Apple for $19.99. You will have to call Apple Customer Care 1-800-692-7753 or 1-800-676-2775 to purchase it. It may still be in the Legacy Products list. The App Store which is required to download 10.7 Lion or 10.8 Mountain Lion is part of the 10.6.6 update.

If you wait to long and they no longer have any in stock you will have to buy it from eBay or Apple resellers that still have stock. But you will have to pay a premium since the DVDs are no longer being made. Snow Leopard DVDs are already over $100 on Amazon.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=10.6+snow+leopard&_sacat=0&_odkw=mac+os+10.6 &_osacat=0

"cannot install OS X 10.6 on this computer"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.