3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2012 10:38 AM by LexSchellings
tonybassplayer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi, I imported quite a bit of footage from my didital camcorder from a band I was in a few years ago and condensed it down in to quicktime videos for youtube etc but my powerbook is just so full and I need to free up some space.

I have been using "whatsize" to see what is taking up the space and it would appear most of the large files are what I imported but I just cant seem to get rid of them at all.

Can anyone advise me of how to get rid of these huge files please ?

Many thanks

Tony

• Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8 (45,920 points)

You can either delete them or move them to an external hard drive.

• Bengt Wärleby Level 6 Level 6 (19,460 points)

Hi

Remember to FORMAT THE EXTERNAL/NEW Hard Disk as:

Mac OS Extended (mine are journaled)

as UNIX / DOS / FAT32 / Mac OS Exchange - works for most things BUT NOT FOR VIDEO - files will break up and to me impossibly to heal/mend.

I also prefer FireWire (or Thunderbolt) as USB/USB2 performs badly to me especially when filling up and even more so when HD-material is used !

Yours Bengt W

• LexSchellings Level 5 Level 5 (6,715 points)

If you have problems in transferring the files to an external disk: first make some free space on your HD, then try again:

if Whatsize gives you the files form large to small, choose the largest in the list that you can be without: write down the exact name including the extension.

Close Whatsize, and all other unused apps, empty Trash.

Then start Terminal and copy/paste the following command in the Terminal:

rm /yourdisk/yourname/..full path../filename.

filename being the filename including the extension you wrote down, yourdisk being the name of your harddisk, yourname being your homefolder, full path the full path to the file.

Try again after this to move (CMD-Drag) files to the external disk. If not enough space do the above again.