Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to free up disk space, how to delete ??

Hi, I imported quite a bit of footage from my didital camcorder from a band I was in a few years ago and condensed it down in to quicktime videos for youtube etc but my powerbook is just so full and I need to free up some space.

I have been using "whatsize" to see what is taking up the space and it would appear most of the large files are what I imported but I just cant seem to get rid of them at all.

Can anyone advise me of how to get rid of these huge files please ?

Many thanks

Tony

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 2:11 AM

6 replies

Nov 2, 2012 4:16 AM in response to tonybassplayer

If you never, ever want to have access to your raw footage from your camcorder again, you can delete your Event files. (You can also delete the Project files, but they are not very large).

This may be OK if the originals were on tape and you still have the tapes.

If you think you might like to keep the Events and Projects for future use, I would recommend that you move them to an external drive. The move must be done within iMovie. Follow the instructions in this User Tip.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4141

Nov 3, 2012 1:21 AM in response to AppleMan1958

They just dont seem to be anywhere at all on my laptop. I looked closely at the "whatsize" info and it lists them under one section but not when you look at the whole hard drive so perhaps I was succesful in deleting them last time I tried ( quite some time ago ) and it really is pictures and music that is filling it up.

I think I will try putting my music on to the external hard drive ( my back up one ) to free up some space.

Is there a simple way of moving itunes and all its contents of my laptop and on to the external hard drive ??

Many thanks

Trying to free up disk space, how to delete ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.