Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Model Number on the Box.

This number is showed on the back case. But the model number mentioned on the box is something different! (i.e MD368ZP/A for iPad 64 GB Black WiFi + 4G) How to identify seeing that number? Actually I'm looking for the code on the box for new iPad 3 > Black > WiFi + 4G WITH LIGHTNING PORT. Can some one help. Cause I hav to send this number to my friend to bring this for me. Thanks.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 4:13 AM

16 replies

Nov 2, 2012 4:58 AM in response to Tanbir

The iPad 4 has the lightning port, the iPad 3 is the model being replaced. The model numbers in the US online store when you select and add a black 64G wifi+4G iPad 4 are :

Verizon : MD524LL/A

Sprint : ME197LL/A

AT&T : MD518LL/A

Here in the UK it appears to be MD524B/A

I haven't seen what the box for the new iPad looks like, but it or the shop staff should be able to help your friend get the correct one.

Nov 2, 2012 5:46 AM in response to King_Penguin

Hi Mr. / Ms. Penguin (as I don't know the name),

I guess this is the model number I was looking for. On the box this is always mention the model number with "M...". My friend will buy it from either UK or Singapore and without any contract. So the model number must be "MD524B/A" that you mentioned if this is correct.

Thanks a lot for this help. 🙂 By the way, is this been released in UK? Any Idea?

Nov 2, 2012 5:48 AM in response to Tanbir

Here's the various iPad model numbers and order numbers. The model numbers are on the back of the iPad

Apple iPad 3rd Gen (Wi-Fi Only) 16, 32, 64 GB

The Wi-Fi Only iPad 3 configurations are assigned model number A1416

MC705LL/A refers to the 16 GB configuration in black. The 32 GB and 64 GB configurations in black are MC706LL/A and MC707LL/A, respectively. The 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB configurations in white are MD328LL/A, MD329LL/A, and MD330LL/A, respectively.

Apple iPad 3rd Gen (Wi-Fi/4G LTE AT&T/GPS) 16, 32, 64 GB

The Wi-Fi/4G LTE AT&T/GPS iPad 3 configurations are assigned model number A1430

MD366LL/A refers to the 16 GB configuration in black. The 32 GB and 64 GB configurations in black are MD367LL/A and MD368LL/A, respectively. The 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB configurations in white are MD369LL/A, MD370LL/A and MD371LL/A, respectively

Apple iPad 3rd Gen (Wi-Fi/4G LTE Verizon/GPS) 16, 32, 64 GB

The Wi-Fi/4G LTE Verizon/GPS iPad 3 configurations are assigned model number A1403

MC733LL/A refers to the 16 GB configuration in black. The 32 GB and 64 GB configurations in black are MC744LL/A and MC756LL/A, respectively. The 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB configurations in white are MD363LL/A, MD364LL/A, and MD365LL/A, respectively.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Nov 2, 2012 6:34 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Hi Tom,

Quite detiled information. Still I'm missing one!!!! As I said, I will buy it without any plan (I mean no AT&T, Verizon or Sprint), all you metioned is with AT&T and Verizon, in case of buying it without any plan from apple store, what will be the code for

"Apple iPad 4, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi/4G LTE, 64GB, Black".

Thanks, Tanbir.

Nov 2, 2012 7:09 AM in response to Tanbir

This is a little confusing. You said it was the # for thenew ipad 3. Isn't the ipad 3 a name many called the old 'new' ipad? Apple calls it the ipad with retina display (but the old 'new' ipad also had a retina display.) All reports I have read are calling the ipad released today the ipad 4, the fourth generation ipad, and the new tablet.

Will the next one be the new, new ipad retina display again fifth generation ipad ? Yikes!

You referred to it as the new ipad 3.

King Penguin referred to it as the ipad 4 ,pointing out the lightning port , which indicates the one being launched today.

Texas Mac Man called it the Apple ipad 3rd gen.

Just to be sure because your friend is getting it for you, are you all talking about the just released today ipad? I know the old 'new' ipad has been discontinued, but many Apple resellers have lots of stock of the discontiued ipad to unload.

Now if only Apple could make the flow of the names of their ipads 'just work.'

Hope this helps.

Message was edited by: appleuser1322

Nov 2, 2012 7:32 AM in response to appleuser1322

THIS IS WHERE I END UP WITH NOW. I WAS QUITE CONFUSED ABOUT iPAD 3 or iPAD 4? 3rd GENERATION or 4th GENERATION? 30 PIN PORT or LIGHTINING PORT?

Well said the phrase "New New iPad". Super Like it!!!! 😁 😝

I share an experinece now, why I finally came to forum!!! I was at Malaysia last week and went for an iPad to buy at "Sen Q" (one of the authorized Apple Reseller at Malaysia). The slaes man gave me the "New iPad; 3rd Generation; Retina Display; 64 GB; Black; WiFi + Cellular". I was just about to pay cause I was quite sure this is the one I'm looking for. Just out of curisity, I asked the guy is this with "Lighting Port?" and he replyed "NO". I was damm surprised!!!!! and did not buy that.

Problem is, now I have iPhone 5 & iPod 5th Generation. These 2 are with Lighting Port. So I need the iPad also with Lightening Port so that I can minimize my accessories for car, office & home!!!

Now I accumulate, actually what I'm loooking for

- 64 GB

- Black

- WiFi + Cellular

- Retina Display

- Lightening Port

So I'm not sure what would be the model number on the box for above iPad if I buy it from UK or Singapore!!!!

Thanks all of you buddy. Special Thanks to "appleuser1322" who raise the most important question and quarry!!!!! Is there anyone except "Apple" can help me????!!!!

😮 😕 😮 😕 😮 😕 ........ 😠 😢

Thanks, Tanbir.

Nov 2, 2012 7:41 AM in response to Tanbir

The one with the lightning port is the 4th gen iPad, which only appeared in the stores today - so store's wouldn't have had it last week. The 'new iPad' (i.e. the iPad 3) is no longer available from Apple stores, except in the store's refurbished section - though other stores may still be selling them. The model numbers that I gave are from the Apple online stores for the iPad 4 i.e. the one with the lightning port. If your friend buys it from a different store then the store's staff should be able to confirm that it is the current iPad

Nov 2, 2012 8:18 AM in response to King_Penguin

I Guess now things are crystal clear!!! Thanks Mr. Penguin. I follow your model numbers. Just to reconfirm, as I had gone thru may numbers in last couple of hours....😉

The Wi-Fi/4G+GSM iPad @ UK

MD524B/A refers to the 64 GB Black

The Wi-Fi/4G+GSM iPad @ Singapore

MD524ZP/A refers to the 64 GB Black

By the way, if I try to teach my friend about Ligtening Port, I'm sure, it would be easier for me to fly to UK and grab a new iPad for me!!!! So, looking for Model number and he will just grab if it matches!!!! Yes, still some people exist in this world who are technology blind....😁

Thanks. Tanbir.

Nov 2, 2012 8:57 AM in response to Tanbir

Hi Tanbir,

First, happy we could all help you out.

I'm not sure why you need the model # to tell your friend which to get. If you tell your friend that you want the ipad 4 with release date of 11-2-12 (for wi-fi only,) and mid Nov. for wi-fi and cellular, he and Apple or an authorized reseller will know and can get you the just released ipad 4 with cellular. The specs you listed above, particularly the lightning port, clearly indicate what you need. You said -

Now I accumulate, actually what I'm loooking for

- 64 GB

- Black

- WiFi + Cellular

- Retina Display

- Lightening Port

It sounds as if King Penguin ordered exactly what you are getting, so you can trust that if you order in the UK.

And I'm sure he wouldn't post the Singapore # if he wasn't sure. Just to be sure, thoiugh, call Apple's UK sales dept. to see if they know the model #'s for both countries.

Also, you have a little time to get the model # you are requesting, as they're not releasing them until at least mid Nov.

Where do you permanently live? If you permanently live in the UK, can you pre order it on-line or be at an Apple store or reseller on launch day? Then you would know exactly what you are getting. If I were you, I would feel more secure buying it in your permanent country in terms of support from some threads I've read in this forum. And trust that if your friend is buying it for you, he will get you the right ipad. If he buys from a reseller, he should open it and guarantee it has a lightning port before he pays because they might still be trying to sell old 'new' discontinued ipads.

I hope it all works out, and enjoy your new ipad 4! (At least that is what I am officially calling it now!)

iPad Model Number on the Box.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.