Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The password for the account "account name" was not changed. Your system administrator may not allow you to change your password or there was some other problem with your password. Contact your system administrator for help.

I have a user who's Active Directory password is going to expire. I had her reset her password by going to apple > system prefs > user > and clicking change password. She received the error "The password for the account "account name" was not changed. Your system administrator may not allow you to change your password or there was some other problem with your password. Contact your system administrator for help."

I had her change her password via the kpasswd command in terminal and that changed her password on the server sucessfully however the laptop has FileVault on it. Filevault is not recognizing the new password just the old password.

I have deleted the keychain which didn't resolve and now I am going to decrypt and reencrypt the drive. I'm hoping this is an isolated issue I have over 25 laptops configured like this.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:40 AM

1 reply

Nov 5, 2012 8:30 AM in response to jiwald

I "think" the trick was unbinding and rebinding the computer account.

After unencrypting and trying to reencrypt Filevault would still not take the new password.

Rebooted the prompt to update the keychain appeared. Updated the keychain. Filevault would still not take the new password.

Unbinded and rebinded the computer account. It worked and let me add the user to filevault.

The password for the account "account name" was not changed. Your system administrator may not allow you to change your password or there was some other problem with your password. Contact your system administrator for help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.