Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cycle count query on brand new Retina Display MacBook Pro

Afternoon guys and gals,

I decided in the end to get a replacement to my Week 33 LG as IR increased and the graphics card wasn't operating properly.

So, this afternoon a week 41 LG has turned-up. Will keep you posted with progress. One slight concern is that I went to system profile and under cycle count it says 3. I'd expect it to say 1 if it were totally brand new as every laptop I've had before says '1'.

Should I be worried that the cycle count is on 3 considering the machine has been sold to be as brand new?

Regards,

lm2

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 10:47 AM

LM2,

We order and setup about 100 machines a week (of which 60% are Macs) and one of the things we keep track of is the cycle count when we take it out of the sealed box. Here are the stats from September's setup for Macs.

57 total machines

Cycle Count of 1 - 22

Cycle Count of 2 - 19

Cycle Count of 3 - 14

Cycle Count of 4 - 2

All of those machines were brand new, factory sealed from Apple. Further looking through stats has 9 of those 19 machines being 15" rMBP and 6 of those 14 machines being 15" rMBP.

So no, the higher cycle count should not alarm you about whether or not the machine is brand new.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2012 10:47 AM in response to londonman2

LM2,

We order and setup about 100 machines a week (of which 60% are Macs) and one of the things we keep track of is the cycle count when we take it out of the sealed box. Here are the stats from September's setup for Macs.

57 total machines

Cycle Count of 1 - 22

Cycle Count of 2 - 19

Cycle Count of 3 - 14

Cycle Count of 4 - 2

All of those machines were brand new, factory sealed from Apple. Further looking through stats has 9 of those 19 machines being 15" rMBP and 6 of those 14 machines being 15" rMBP.

So no, the higher cycle count should not alarm you about whether or not the machine is brand new.

Cycle count query on brand new Retina Display MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.