Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my Mac so out of date that I need a new one?

The last time I made a statement in the forum it got wipped off/banned.

I will try to pharse my words more wisely in hope of answers...

Any help would be grand and to put my question to bed would also save me future migrains and frustration.

I have a

Mac OS X

Dual 2GHz

PPC G5

2gb RAM

It is begining to operate slowly and can no longer open documents and some web pages made on more up to date programmes/versions.

I have tried to upgrade plug-ins and software, but it appears that my architecture doesn't support a lot of things, thus

can not upgrade.

Does anyone know a way to fix this and what I could do about updating my system without purchasing a new computer (if possible)?

Ideally I'd like to recycle my own or install newer components into the desk top (if possible).

"Ssssiiiiiiiiggghh",

I'd thought I'd stop off here before I begin delving into worlds unknown and webpage shuffling.

So far I can see that everyone knows something better than the next person, but I can't seem to find the answers I seek.

Thanksforanycomments,helpandgreaterwiseknowledge...

😍

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:48 AM

In pretty simple words: Yes, your G5 is quite out of date. But if it suits your needs, and if a new computer wouldn't suit them any better, then there is no pressing need to replace it.

Your upgrading opportunities are scarce. You can upgrade OS X to 10.5.8 but no farther. Some of your software may not be upgradeable to the most current versions. Hardware upgrades will likely be limited to memory, hard drive, and GPU. You need to consider the cost of upgrading versus the cost of a new computer considering, also, the ueful lives of each.

Personally, I would suggest a new computer. But as I said earlier - if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2012 9:48 AM in response to Estden

In pretty simple words: Yes, your G5 is quite out of date. But if it suits your needs, and if a new computer wouldn't suit them any better, then there is no pressing need to replace it.

Your upgrading opportunities are scarce. You can upgrade OS X to 10.5.8 but no farther. Some of your software may not be upgradeable to the most current versions. Hardware upgrades will likely be limited to memory, hard drive, and GPU. You need to consider the cost of upgrading versus the cost of a new computer considering, also, the ueful lives of each.

Personally, I would suggest a new computer. But as I said earlier - if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Nov 2, 2012 10:05 AM in response to Kappy

Cheers Kappy,

Thanks for the quick responce and wise words.

It wasn't the answer I was looking for, but I think all the same I knew it would be so.

I was hoping that I could acquire the skills of a whizz kid and recondition my computer.

Although when I divide the lifespan cost of my G5, ( approx £5pw since 2005) it's not bad I guess.

It's just annoying to know that it isn't broken, yet can't open a CS6 document, stream music, etc.

I use design programmes and it is fundemental that I can open documents when I get home, so investing in a new model is most likely.

Nov 2, 2012 10:21 AM in response to Estden

No, you can't handle CS5 or CS6, but streaming music is possible. But, if your work requires you to stay current with colleagues, employers, etc., then you may have to byte that bullet.

For what you suggest you may not need another tower model. However, if you are to replace the G5 with a Mac Pro tower, then be sure to check Apple's refurbished ones. You will find that info at the Online Store. A new Mac Pro model was released this year, so the previous models may be available as refurbished units. You should know that Apple has openly announced that a new Mac Pro design will be out next year sometime.

If waiting is not an option for you and Mac Pros are simply too expensive, then consider the iMacs. The new and refurbished iMacs are available with i7 processors and pretty decent GPUs. Except for memory iMacs are not designed to be field upgraded by the user. I recently replaced a 2006 Mac Pro 8-core machine with a 3.4 GHz i7 27" iMac. It is every bit as fast as the Mac Pro it replaced. In fact it's as fast or faster than all but the must recent Mac Pros from 2010 and 2012.

Just more food for thought. 😀

Is my Mac so out of date that I need a new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.