Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Smart Case - wrong orientation?

I haven't marked this as a question because I guess any answers are very subjective, but does anyone else think the orientation of the cover on the Apple Smart Case is "wrong"?

For the past 2.5 years I've had a first generation iPad. This has lived in a Marware Eco-Vue case which to my mind holds the iPad in the most perfectly accessible way possible when using its built-in 'kickstand' on a flat surface. The home button is on the right, where it falls naturally for operation with my right thumb (I am right-handed, so for southpaws YMMV). The rotation lock and volume rockers are in the top-left corner where a quick slide of the left index finger allows almost instant control, and the headphone outlet is on the bottom left which is a) on the edge nearest the desk and so has the least vertical cord drop and b) keeps any trailing cord to the left of my body where it won't interfere with my dominant right hand if I need to use a mouse, pen and paper etc.

When the iPad2 was released I loved the design and function of the Smart Cover but wasn't impressed that it offered no protection for the rear of the iPad case. But since I never owned an iPad2, this was moot.

I've just taken posession of a 4th generation retina iPad and an Apple Smart Case which, when I ordered it, seemed to combine the best features of the Smart Cover with a backshell that offered some protection for the rear of the iPad itself. Unfortunately now I've fitted it I notice the 'hinge' of the Smart Case is oriented along what I've come to think of as the 'bottom' of the iPad, so when the cover is rolled into a prism for use as a kickstand the orientation of the iPad is completely wrong.

The home button is now on the left, which is arguably something I could get used to but feels very wrong after having it on the right of every other Apple device I've owned. The headphone socket is now on the top-right, leaving the cord dangling and snaking past my right hand where I keep catching it. But worst of all, the orientation lock and volume controls are now on the bottom-right edge, hidden by the lip of the Smart Case itself! To operate either control I have to physically lift the iPad off the desk to get access to the buttons.

I guess I can use the on-screen volume control for videos or music, and learn to use the task switcher volume control for games, but the orientation lock is a real problem. If the iPad is locked to portrait and I set it down to watch a video, I have to pick it up again to disengage the lock. I suppose I could set the lock switch to be mute, and use the soft orientation lock in the switcher, but that's quite a serious configuration and useage change just to overcome a silly case design problem.

I realise if you look up "first world problems" in the dictionary you'll probably find this list, and in the grand scheme of things a couple of configuration changes and a few days re-programming my muscle memory probably isn't going to be too onerous a task. But with Apple's emphasis on design and ease of use I'm really surprised that they designed the Smart Case to operate this way. I certainly can't think, off the top of my head, of any disadvantages to orienting it the other way. Although I'm open to suggestions.

Has anyone else found the orientation of the Smart Case to be an annoyance, or am I just being far too picky?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:57 AM

7 replies

Nov 2, 2012 10:15 AM in response to denali_uk

Since the natural (or maybe default, as it were) orientation of the iPad is portait with the Home button at the bottom, once you go to Landscape, there really is not a "correct" direction. Depends on the case, and manner in which the case serves as an easle or prop. For example, with my current case, if I have it propped up for video viewing, the home button is on the right. Propped for typing, it is on the left. Really depends on the case and its design. I'm not sure one could claim a right and wrong way for the design.

But, since you are talking about an apple SmartCase, you might want to leave some feedback here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Nov 2, 2012 10:33 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

I'm not sure I actually want to bother Apple with this and, besides, if they did offer a Smart Case II with orientation option I'd only have to drop more money on it. Such is Apple's way of parting you from your hard-earned...

It just surprised me that, given the choice of only two ways to hinge the case, Apple seem to have gone for the one with more disadvantages than advantages. And although there's no official "right way up" in landscape, most of the promotional photos and videos I can remember for iPhones, iPod touches and iPads seemed to favour the orientation with the home button and dock connector on the right. In fact a quick Google Images search for "ipad landscape orientation" shows hundreds of images of iPads almost all of which have the button on the right.

I'd still be comforted to know that I'm not the only one bugged by this, though. Does anyone else want to admit to sharing my First World Smart Case pain, or am I to be the lone nerdy voice screaming in the wilderness as I untangle my headphone cable from my right hand for the nth time? 😉

Nov 3, 2012 3:44 AM in response to denali_uk

denali_uk, not much more to say - you are just plain right. Of course, the orientation should not matter, but this is related to the virtual orientation (screen content). When it gets physical, everything has a location and a headphone cable should not dangle, not to mention the volume/orientation/silent interface elements cannot be reached.

I fear, nobody is to admit this faux-pas. Apple has a history of being blind to critics (it probably comes when you strive for perfection, or at least you think you are), especially when it comes to design.

This is a little bit like putting the lock for your car's engine below your car, on the outside...

Nov 3, 2012 4:38 AM in response to cduerr

I was thinking about the orientation again this morning and the only positive angle I could think of for the location of the Smart Case hinge is that when you hold the iPad in portrait mode with the dock at the bottom, as you might if using iBooks, the cover opens from right to left. I guess it could be argued that this action comes more naturally to users in the West who are used to opening books this way, and that opening the cover from left to right would not be intuitive.

I was quite pleased with this explanation (I could just imagine Jony Ive saying, "It's got to open like a book!") but then judging by the images on the Japanese Apple store the cases are exactly the same over there. So much for that argument, unless Apple's budget won't stretch to regionalised cases and they would rather annoy Japanese users than Western users.

Oh well. I'm slowly getting used to the "backwards" landscape mode. I still keep reaching to the right for the home button though. It's going to take weeks if not longer to reprogram myself on that score.

Nov 3, 2012 4:49 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

I hardly ever walk around holding the iPad but when I do I still prefer the home button on the right so the volume controls are at the top. But I concede that the way you describe makes a certain amount of sense, in that your carrying hand is also your home button hand and the Smart Case cover would then more naturally flip over the top of the iPad rather than under the bottom which would be awkward.

But who knows? I'm beginning to suspect we've put more thought into this than anyone at Apple. 😁

Nov 5, 2012 3:13 PM in response to denali_uk

After playing around with the new iPad and case for a couple of days I've now realised that when the Smart Cover stand is used in landscape 'movie watching' rather than 'typing' mode, then the orientation does have the home button on the right and the volume controls on the top. And while I personally prefer to use the the lower angle for both typing and movie watching (I do most of my movie watching in my work cafeteria where "lean back" isn't really a practical option) I am perpared to concede that the majority of movie watchers may well want the iPad supported at the steeper angle. So perhaps this is what Apple were thinking when they designed the case.

Still, how much easier it would have been if they'd made both designs and given us a choice. Or even made the Smart Case a two-part thing with a separate backshell and cover.

Ah, Apple. The easier you make life for us, the more we pick those nits.

Apple Smart Case - wrong orientation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.