7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2012 12:14 PM by nowsthetime
nowsthetime Level 1 Level 1
expertise.itunes
iTunes

... including files saved by timemachine?  I've had a lot of computer problems, first wiped the drive.  It was a chore getting old folders like "desktop" and "downloads" to open for me with my new username and for some reason I wasn't permitted by the system to use the OLD username.  I had to go to every folder and every item in every folder and reset permissions.

Now, it seems, I need a new drive.  Which means I have to do all those things AGAIN!  Plus re-install software.

Is there a terminal command that will let me access old timemachine drives (plural) with (unfortunately) multiple usernames?

Please don't lecture me!  I know I've been hopelessly stupid and inefficient.  I promise to do better.  At least I DID back up.

Reply by disguise on Nov 2, 2012 11:38 AM Helpful

"sudo" comes to mind

in Terminal type and hit return

man sudo

I'm thinking "sudo -u username ls ~username"

where "username" is whatever OLD user you have.

Reply by nowsthetime on Nov 2, 2012 2:53 PM Helpful

Thank you thank you but I don't understand. Which parts do I type?  Not "I'm thinking?" or do i type that too?

All replies

• disguise Level 2 Level 2

"sudo" comes to mind

in Terminal type and hit return

man sudo

I'm thinking "sudo -u username ls ~username"

where "username" is whatever OLD user you have.

• baltwo Level 9 Level 9

Become more efficient, using something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to make a bootable backup/clone of your current boot volume. Then, restoration is independent and testable without depending on Apple's one-trick pony known as Time Machine.

• nowsthetime Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.itunes
    iTunes

Thank you thank you but I don't understand. Which parts do I type?  Not "I'm thinking?" or do i type that too?

expertise.itunes
    iTunes

So the username with the tilde is the new user name?

• disguise Level 2 Level 2

what you type is

man sudo

I presented an example, which when executed will run as "username" and display the contents of their home directory - the meaning of "ls ~username"

I suspect that this is going over your head.

double-click Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

type and hit enter

/bin/csh

This command starts the C-Shell command line interpreter. The ~ (tilde) character is translated by the C-Shell as the users home directory. For example, "ls ~" will display the contents of my home directory (folder) which is /Users/disguise

You man want to read up on C-Shell and UNIX commands.

• baltwo Level 9 Level 9

FWIW, bash is the default Unix shell for Mac OS X and OS X, so no need to confuse things running csh or other shells.

expertise.itunes
    iTunes

Yes, I am in over my head, and this last post confused me even more   Fortunately, at this point my computer has crashed again and the hard drive has been replaced, and this time I set it up as the user I have been all along instead of as a new user.  So I used a mix of backups to get up and running.  Now if I can just get carbonite going again...  P.S.  I do plan to study how to do terminal commands.  I've used some in the past which were terrifically useful.