Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal command that will let me access old username files...

... including files saved by timemachine? I've had a lot of computer problems, first wiped the drive. It was a chore getting old folders like "desktop" and "downloads" to open for me with my new username and for some reason I wasn't permitted by the system to use the OLD username. I had to go to every folder and every item in every folder and reset permissions.

Now, it seems, I need a new drive. Which means I have to do all those things AGAIN! Plus re-install software.

Is there a terminal command that will let me access old timemachine drives (plural) with (unfortunately) multiple usernames?

Please don't lecture me! I know I've been hopelessly stupid and inefficient. I promise to do better. At least I DID back up.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 11:38 AM

"sudo" comes to mind

in Terminal type and hit return

man sudo

I'm thinking "sudo -u username ls ~username"

where "username" is whatever OLD user you have.

7 replies

Nov 2, 2012 3:18 PM in response to nowsthetime

what you type is

man sudo

I presented an example, which when executed will run as "username" and display the contents of their home directory - the meaning of "ls ~username"

I suspect that this is going over your head.

double-click Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

type and hit enter

/bin/csh

This command starts the C-Shell command line interpreter. The ~ (tilde) character is translated by the C-Shell as the users home directory. For example, "ls ~" will display the contents of my home directory (folder) which is /Users/disguise

You man want to read up on C-Shell and UNIX commands.

Nov 3, 2012 12:14 PM in response to nowsthetime

Yes, I am in over my head, and this last post confused me even more 😢 Fortunately, at this point my computer has crashed again and the hard drive has been replaced, and this time I set it up as the user I have been all along instead of as a new user. So I used a mix of backups to get up and running. Now if I can just get carbonite going again... P.S. I do plan to study how to do terminal commands. I've used some in the past which were terrifically useful.

Terminal command that will let me access old username files...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.