Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up a WordPress web server on my Mac

Hi everyone!

After 10 hours of trying to get anything to work, I eventually gave up and is now writing this.

I'm trying to create a web server and create a WordPress website.

Instead of creating a website from scratch, (and since I got very limited know how,) I researched that maybe it would be easier to make a WordPress website instead, also due to the custom plugins you can add in order to give your website some functionality (like a calender).

Before I use money on a domain, I would like to make my Mac work as a web server and work on that to begin with. Also so I got a platform to test WordPress on.

I got a MacBook running the latest 10.8 OS, and I got OS X Server 10.8.

I'm connected through my home WiFi internet.

So far I have looked up my IP on google, and used that address in OS X Server, and expected that enabling Web Server would do the trick. I can write 'localhost' in my browser and see the default website OS X Server makes, but I strangely cannot enter my IP address and reach it that way. This was my goal.

I hope at some point to be able to send my IP address to a friend and to try to view it on iPhone as well this way.

Second issue is that I downloaded the WordPress file and unpacked it, but I can't get it to work either.

If anyone got any insight in this (most importantly on how to make my laptop a web server), then it would be hugely appreciated!

Most of what I found on the web seems outdated or contains intermediate steps and prepercautions that I dont undertand.

Sorry for my bad english.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 11:23 AM

1 reply

Nov 4, 2012 3:03 PM in response to Gabriel Brodersen

basically with most domestic setups your server is behind a NAT device, normally a router of some sort

which will have your external IP address

your internal network will have a different ip range which is not accessible from the internet

because of your NAT device

normally to get to the web site you have configured you would use the internal ip address of your server

or the domain names you've configured in your internal lan because you are on the inside of your LAN

normally your server will not be accessible for incoming connections from the Internet until you configure your network to allow connection from outside

your website will need the correct permissions set to enable it to be served

depending on the CMS you've chosen the installation may help configure this for you

you'll also have to add your website to your web server , normally you'd do this with a domain name

so you can serve multiple sites from the same ip address (your servers)

you'll need a domain name entry in your LAN DNS for your website as well

otherwise name lookups will fail

OSX server uses postgesSQL MYSQL has been removed

if you want t use MYSQL you'll have to install it yourself

Setting up a WordPress web server on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.