Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which filetypes does iMovie support?

I recently recorded some HDV footage (.M2T mpeg) for someone else to edit in iMovie. I added a soundtrack in Adobe Premiere on a PC and need to export it out. Should I convert it to something else?

Alex

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 3:56 PM

When iMovie imports HDV from tape, it converts it to Apple Intermediate Codec.

I am not sure if your .M2T will import or not. I suggest you test it, or convert to AIC.

Also, there is a free app called MPEG Streamclip that can convert m2t to Apple Intermediate Codec on the Mac.

13 replies

Nov 4, 2012 1:59 AM in response to Alex DeJesus

the file icons have padlocks on the Mac

You can change the permissions in Get Info.

You need to convert the VOB files in the TS-Folder of the DVD back to DV which iMovie is designed to handle. For that you need mpegStreamclip:

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

which is free, but you must also have the Apple mpeg2 plugin :

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A/quicktime-mpeg-2-playback-component-f or-mac-os-x

(unless you are running Lion in which case see below))

which is a mere $20.

Another possibility is to use DVDxDV:

http://www.dvdxdv.com/NewFolderLookSite/Products/DVDxDV.overview.htm

which costs $25.

For the benefit of others who may read this thread:

Obviously the foregoing only applies to DVDs you have made yourself, or other home-made DVDs that have been given to you. It will NOT work on copy-protected commercial DVDs, which in any case would be illegal.

And from the TOU of these forums:

Keep within the Law

1. No material may be submitted that is intended to promote or commit an illegal act.
  2. Do not submit software or descriptions of processes that break or otherwise ‘work around’ digital rights management software or hardware. This includes conversations about ‘ripping’ DVDs or working around FairPlay software used on the iTunes Store.

If you are running Lion:

From the MPEG Streamclip homepage

The installer of the MPEG-2 Playback Component may refuse to install the component in Lion. Apple states the component is unnecessary in Lion, however MPEG Streamclip still needs it. See this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3381

To install the component in Lion, please download MPEG Streamclip 1.9.3b7 beta above; inside the disk image you will find the Utility MPEG2 Component Lion: use it to install the MPEG-2 Playback Component in Lion. The original installer's disk image (QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg) is required.

The current versions of MPEG Streamclip cannot take advantage of the built-in MPEG-2 functionality of Lion. For MPEG-2 files you still need to install the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component, which is not preinstalled in Lion. You don't have to install QuickTime 7.

Nov 4, 2012 11:14 AM in response to Klaus1

I downloaded and installed the mpeg playback component, and verified that Streamclip can open and convert the HDV file. However, that is on a PC. My client will have to download the Mac version of Streamclip and the Mpeg Playback Component.

An important question is: will he be able to import and edit the original HDV files in iMovie? Will he need to convert them to Quicktime first (with Streamclip) or will iMovie convert them on import?

Nov 4, 2012 5:40 PM in response to AppleMan1958

So, the best option is for the Mac owner to use MPeg playback component to import and convert the original HD files.

Option 2: If I convert the files for him in Windows, they will be converted again in iMovie.

My final question on this: What are the best export settings for Adobe Media Encoder to preserve as much data as possible? Is it possible to convert to Apple Intermediate Codec in Windows?

which filetypes does iMovie support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.