Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! My iSCSI drive got renamed. Need to restore old name

I use a NAS for my Mac OS X Server system. I've dedicated one of the iSCSI LUNs to store all my user home directories. Today, for some inexplicable reason, the iSCSI drive got renamed from Foobar to 00

User uploaded file

The mount point also got renamed to from /Volumes/Foobar to /Volumes/00.

I manually renamed /Volumes/00 back to /Volumes/Foobar by opening a Terminal window and typing 'mv 00 Foobar', but I would like to restore the old name for the iSCSI drive.

Can someone show me how to do this?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 4:33 PM

1 reply

Nov 4, 2012 11:46 AM in response to rstartree

Note:

I tried to rename it in the Finder by right-clicking the drive and selecting 'Get Info'. I then tried to change back to the earlier name by typing 'Foobar' in Name & Extension. When I try to save it (by enterring the carriage return), I get the message:
The name "Foobar" can't be used.

Try using a name with fewer characters, or with no punctuation marks.
I gather that some part of the file system got corrupted, so that I cannot rename the iSCSI drive Volume using the Finder. Perhaps I can circumvent this problem by trying to rename the drive in the command line instead of the Finder. Is there a way to do this in the command line?

Help! My iSCSI drive got renamed. Need to restore old name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.