Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is anyone else experiencing iPhone 5 rapid battery drain with iOS 6.0.1?

I had no issues with iOS 6 on my iPhone 5 nor with the iPhone itself.

This morning, I installed iOS 6.0.1 and since then my iPhone has been staying quite warm and the battery has been draining about 20% per hour (that's 20% of the total charge capacity). This heat and battery drain occurs even with no apps running after a fresh reboot of the iPhone.

Does anyone else have suggestion regarding what might be done to prevent the iPhone from using up the battery? Or, is this just a new problem introduced with iOS 6.0.1?

Thanks,

Ben

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 4:46 PM

36 replies

Nov 3, 2012 5:59 AM in response to faberast

Same here. But it is quite strange...

My devices:

IPad and IPhone, both 6.0.1 are getting warm from time to time, battery draining... temporary fix: activate airplane mode...

My wife:

Iphone and Ipad, both 6.0, Iphone is getting warm, battery draining... IPad behaves normally!!

What I tried and can rule out:

EMail from push to manually pull --> doesn't help

ICloud Documents and data change -->doesn't help

Location services deactivated --> doesn't help

Sending Apple debug information deactivated --> doesn't help

For me, the worst ist not the battery drain.... The reason for the warm device seems to be, the device sending data via cellular.. I had about 1GB traffic in 2 days!

I almost suspect some app to be the reason. My wife is quite slow when it come to updating apps. So her IPad has quite some updates left.

At the moment, I have deactivated Photo Streams. Let's see, if this helps.

Really strange.....

Nov 3, 2012 6:19 AM in response to horus424

Anything in your "Diagnostic and Usage" logs to help you identify the issue? I saw an improvement in my battery life.

For me iOS 6 was worse for my battery life, when I first activated the full feature set (Push Email, iCloud, Notifications etc) my phone was hot to touch and it turned out to be my email "Exchange" calendar and a rogue app trying to constantly update to iCloud.

I hazard a guess that Apple's update to iOS 6.0.1 may have caused some latent app issue? Have fun trying to find it.

Nov 3, 2012 3:11 PM in response to faberast

Im having the same issue. Phone gets very warm and battery drains very very fast.

I tried reset network settings.

I tried reset all settings.

I'm now doing a full restore.

New phone cost a lot of $$

I had a similiar problem when I had the 4S, ended up taking it back and getting a refurb. I find the whole return process very disappointing, you buy an expensive new phone and end up with a rebuilt used phone and hope it works.

For a Co that rakes in BILLIONS$$ every quarter I find that return policy very very disappointing. If I dont get satisfaction this time round this will be my last iphone.

I thought Apple was a Co that had its stuff together. Not true and they never admit there are issues. its always deny, defend, blame the user, blame some other app, blame the networks.

Sad

Nov 3, 2012 8:33 PM in response to David Graham2

David, one of you email accounts is an Exchange Activesync one?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2480

If so I would try the following to see if it resolves your issue:

1) Turn "Wi Fi" Off whenever you leave your "Wi Fi" zone.

If the above doesn't work then or you don't want to do that:

2) Goto Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > Select your "Exchange Activesync" account and remove from your iPhone. Re-add again to see if this resolves your battery issue.

If the above doesn't work then:

3) Goto Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > Fetch New Data > Select Every 15 min/ 30 min or Hourly, Then Goto Advanced > Select your "Exchange Activesync" account and select Fetch (Manual is another option).

If the above doesn't work then (Warning: The below option will cause you to re-configure your whole phone again):

3) Goto Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings and try 1) / 2) /3) again.

Failing that it maybe worth talking your "Exchange Server Admin" at work about the below settings:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1868

Nov 4, 2012 5:34 PM in response to modular747

modular747 wrote:

1. Reset iPhone (no data loss): Press both home and power buttons for at least 10 seconds, releasing when the Apple logo appears.

Tried it, nope.

2. Restore phone in iTunes using a backup.

Then tried that, nope.

3. Restore in iTunes as new, without using a backup.

DING DING DING!!! This did it! Pain in the butt, but it works...

Thanks!

Is anyone else experiencing iPhone 5 rapid battery drain with iOS 6.0.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.