Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 crashes after Upgrade to Mountain Lion

Hi everyone,

I have been running a Windows 7 (Ultimate 64-Bit) on my iMac since I bought it without trouble under both "Snow Leopard" (shipped with the machine) and "Lion". After upgrading to "Mountain Lion" Windows always crashes with a "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD) or "freezes" without an error message. This happens either during startup, before I can log in or within the first few minutes after loggin in on Windows 7.

The BSOD message are not consistently the same, and I cannot see a pattern. I now have a nice collection of *.dmp files found in the boot camp volume under /Windows/Minidump analyis of which points to all sorts of errors (file system, IRQs, etc., as I said I can't see a pattern there).

A memory test using the memory test tool shipped with Windows 7 on the DVD revealed no hardware faults. I am not aware of any other hardware defects and under OS X is running as it should.

I removed and recreated the boot camp partition and reinstalled Windows 7 using the original disk serveral times now. I found that Windows will run fine as long as I do not install the boot camp drivers (I tried both the current ones downloaded via boot camp-assistant and the ones on the Snow Leopard disk shipped with the iMac). Running Windows without some decent hardware support is however not really an option for me. Neither do I want to buy a PC or downgrade to Snow Leopard or Lion.

Any help, hints or tips are appreciated.

Regards

David

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Boot Camp-Assistent 5.0.0 (444)

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 3:20 AM

1 reply

Nov 16, 2012 2:39 AM in response to Username dave

I'm having this exact same issue too, and this is my third attempt to get things working again now :( what was weird was (before I also tried to start all over with a fresh win install) I were able to boot up the bootcamp install via VMware Fusion :S I've just did a startup repair with restore and it seems to have kicked some bad things out and lets me boot in again. I think I'll make a restore point and then install the driver one by one instead, and if things then blows up, I'm hopefully able to restore back.

But this issue is pretty pretty bad.

Windows 7 crashes after Upgrade to Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.