Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail & SpamSieve - how to delete spam on server too (POP) - option needed

I am using the newest Mail (2.0.7), Mac OS X (10.4.6) and SpamSieve (2.4.3).
I access my mail through POP. SpamSieve moves junk mail to the Spam
folder, from where I delete it (move to Trash, and empty trash (erase deleted messages in all accounts). Still I find my junk mails in my account on the mail server, eg when using mail through the web.

Before, I used Eudora with SpamSieve, and it would delete the junk mail on the server too (actually immediately on detection).

How do I accomplish that with Mail and SpamSieve?

TIA

Marc

(PS I do want to keep the good mail on the server, at least for some time.)

Barry Margolin in comp.sys.mac.system:

I don't think there's a way to do this. Preferences->Accounts->Advanced
has a menu with choices of when to remove messages from the server, but
"When erased on client" is not one of the choices. The closest is "When
moved from Inbox".

Too bad "When erased on client" is not present - it should be (Apple, are you listening?)

Marc

12" PB G4/1.2GHz- Mac Book Pro - 12" iB G3/500 MHz - PowerMac G4/450 MHz Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Apr 17, 2006 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2006 4:13 PM

I don't know how SpamSieve works, but I'm pretty sure it has no bearing on this. The problem is that Mail doesn't have the option to remove mail from the server when it's deleted locally, and thus, there is no way to automatically remove only undesired mail from the server.

The article you've quoted is correct. The closest you can get to what you (and others) want in Mail is to remove messages from the server when moved from Inbox, because that's the only option available in Mail to remove messages from server using a criterion other than the time they've been there. In my case, that's not an option, because I keep all mail organized in custom mailboxes, leaving in Inbox unread messages only.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2006 4:13 PM in response to Marc Heusser

I don't know how SpamSieve works, but I'm pretty sure it has no bearing on this. The problem is that Mail doesn't have the option to remove mail from the server when it's deleted locally, and thus, there is no way to automatically remove only undesired mail from the server.

The article you've quoted is correct. The closest you can get to what you (and others) want in Mail is to remove messages from the server when moved from Inbox, because that's the only option available in Mail to remove messages from server using a criterion other than the time they've been there. In my case, that's not an option, because I keep all mail organized in custom mailboxes, leaving in Inbox unread messages only.

Mail & SpamSieve - how to delete spam on server too (POP) - option needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.