Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using lightning with Midi

I now have the latest iPad and the dilemma of how to connect to my existing devices. I know I need the new VGA connector but what about midi?

I read the that the usb camera connector works as did the previous camera connection kit so that should be sorted but what exactly does the adaptor do to the USB data?

For instance if I wanted to connect a midi keyboard to my new iPad to play instruments in garageband, i now have a usb cable coming from my keyboard and a lightning connector with a usb on its end. If I use a USB coupler, the two devices are now connected...right?

Cant imagine it would ever be that easy but what exactly does the adaptor do that this 'frankenstein, method doesnt?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 16GB Ram

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:19 AM

5 replies

Nov 3, 2012 7:58 AM in response to Ralph9430

Any reason it wouldnt work? I can get a coupler from Amazon for a few quid but £8 at my local Maplins. Would rather not pay that much just for a 10 second experiment...then again I am impatient.

It just seems a bit too easy?

Not complaining if it works though. Electronics (in terms or wiring) is not my strong point and I wondered what the camera kit did other than providing a female connection. If thats all it does (and the lightning connector carries midi usb) this setup would surely be the same as connecting the ipad to a PC or Mac?

Nov 3, 2012 8:35 AM in response to Ralph9430

The wife just picked one up. if I am very careful I can probably get it out of the packaging without damage and take it back if it doesnt work.

Will report back in a short while i.e. once she arrives home!!

Apple already have a connector; the USB camera connection adaptor but its £25 and my camera connection kit with 30 pin connection is now defunct!!

There are only two wires on a USB that actually carry data and the lightning cable bundled clearly connects to a USB 2.0 socket on a PC. Logic dictates I am only joining up the two ends so it should work.

Bear in mind I need the coupler because the Korg keyboard has a Type B (square) while coupler joins two male Type A.

Using lightning with Midi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.