Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Classic no longer plays certain songs.

My Ipod 160gb Classic has been working correctly as of lately (or rather, how it usually acts instead of correctly); however, yesterday I plugged my Ipod into my Windows XP computer, Itunes Version 10.1.1.4. After resyncing/connecting/etc. that the Ipod always does when it is plugged in and letting it charge, I eject my Ipod through Itunes.
Then, much to my delight, my Ipod was somehow managed to be wiped. No music, no videos, photos, podcasts, etc. However, I did find it interesting my game stats were still there, so I assume the Ipod just didn't decide to do a whole harddrive delete (I may be wrong). I tried the Center Button + Menu combination for the X amount of seconds, for the Apple Logo to appear. No dice, still nothing.
But anyway.

I now tried to plug my Ipod into my computer again, and kept receiving errors saying it could not be read due to an Input/Output issue in reading my Ipod. This could have been the USB port, but that doesn't change the problem I have currently having.
So once the Ipod was read (took forever and Itunes kept freezing), I restored it because Itunes told me there was an issue with it. And you know, I had nothing on there, so why not. After restoring, and resyncing all 750 of my songs from Itunes (took forever. All of these songs either bought through the Itunes store, or through a CD I own (I can supply photo proof of these to show the issue isn't from pirating)). But anyway, after resyncing all these songs, a huge issue occurs that I am unable to fix. Certain songs will only play for around 5 seconds, then not play the rest of the song, and continue to the next. Or won't even play the song at all.
Ex: Song 1 on an album will play, then the next song to play is Song 5, skipping 2,3,4 in between.

Sometimes certain songs will play, other times they will not for no reason whatsoever. It's frustrating when I try to play a song and it'll work, then I'll try listening to it a few hours, or even minutes without turning off my Ipod, and it won't play now. When I try to manually select a certain song that isn't playing, the Ipod will freeze for probably around 10 seconds, until it ends up skipping every song in between until the next 'playable' one comes up.

All of these songs work on Itunes currently, and worked before the issue I had with all my media being wiped from the Ipod.
I checked the file format of some of these songs, comparing not working to working, and they are the exact same. The issue is occuring with both songs from CD's as well as purchased from Itunes. Again, all of these songs were bought legally.

I searched through other people having these similar issues, however much of the way those were fixed aren't working here. I tried several of those solutions: restoring, converting files formats, making sure Itunes Store purchases, etc, and I'm pretty tech-savvy But the thing is, all of my songs worked before, now they don't, and I just can not figure out why.

I hope I supplied enough information on the issue and how it happened. Sorry for the huge message. Help is appreciated 🙂

iPod classic, Windows XP, Dim brightness, 5 R's didn't work.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 7:23 AM

By the description of your post, it could be an indication or a damaged or dying hard drive. I would recommend doing a disk diagnostic on the iPod's HD using the instructions given by turingtest2 in this older thread. He also covers what the resulting numbers indicate.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3784647?start=0&tstart=0

If necessary, post the resultings numbers and we can verify what the next steps to take.

B-rock

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2012 7:23 AM in response to benjaminfromaberdeen

By the description of your post, it could be an indication or a damaged or dying hard drive. I would recommend doing a disk diagnostic on the iPod's HD using the instructions given by turingtest2 in this older thread. He also covers what the resulting numbers indicate.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3784647?start=0&tstart=0

If necessary, post the resultings numbers and we can verify what the next steps to take.

B-rock

Nov 5, 2012 4:36 PM in response to benjaminfromaberdeen

Did a restore without any media being put on, here are the stats, and the increase from the original posted:

Retracts: 1 (+0)

Reallocs: 280 (+64)

Pending Sectors: 480 (+48)

PowerOn Hours: 198 (+1)

Start/Stops: 24856 (+50)

Temp: Current 33c (+6)

Temp: Min 14c (+0)

Temp: Max 54c (+0)

Although the hours, and temps don't matter much I included them anyway. Here are the stats after another restore, and all the media being added (increase from original, not last restore):

Retracts: 1 (+0)

Reallocs: 400 (+184)

Pending Sectors: 48 (-384)

PowerOn Hours: 198 (+0)

Start/Stops: 24861 (+55)

Temp: Current 36c (+9)

Temp: Min 14c (+0)

Temp: Max 54c (+0)

The pending sectors went drastically down, which is awesome, lot less songs are skipping.. Except the reallocs went significantly up as well, I assume that would be due to the remaps of the pending sectors? And should I try more restores to see if that would help try to fix the problem, assuming it would be fixing desk/memory errors?

Nov 6, 2012 6:49 AM in response to benjaminfromaberdeen

Except the reallocs went significantly up as well, I assume that would be due to the remaps of the pending sectors?

That is correct.

And should I try more restores to see if that would help try to fix the problem, assuming it would be fixing desk/memory errors?

That is certainly most up to you, but I'm not really sure it will not any more good. A higher number of reallocs can lead to slower read/write speeds as well,

B-rock

Jul 4, 2013 4:01 PM in response to planb77

Just a question, I am having identical problems to the OP, understandable. My qualm is that this is happening to high numbers of products and your only solution is to trade it in on another (most likely suffering the same problem) Ipod Classic. Personally I bought my Ipod in January of this year (2013) and by your diagnosis it is already a failing HD issue. Should this not be Apple's problem rather than we the consumers who have to lose our money on their faulty product? I'm not trading it in on a new one with a poor credit towards it from the old one, Apple should get their butts in gear making it their business to fix it!

Ipod Classic no longer plays certain songs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.