Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FireWire 800 to Thunderbolt Adapter

Hello Support Communities!

Apple finaly made the FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter. I have an G-Drive Mini external hard drive that I use daily for my Time Machine backups. This drive is important to me, because I have lots of precious files on my computer. The files I have are big, so when the hourly backup comes around, sometimes the transfer is a little slow.

I love using the newest technologies and have never tried Thunderbolt, so I was wondering if using the Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter makes file transfers between my iMac and G-Drive Mini faster. Would it even work with my external hard drive?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 8GB RAM, 500GB HD

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 8:23 AM

No it won't make file tranfers fast than FW 800. Yes you can use it with external drives.

3 replies

Jan 3, 2016 11:36 AM in response to David M Brewer

I wonder if you have run into this problem. I have 2 Glyph drives PortaGig 50s daisy chained together via Firewire 800, connected to new iMac 27" OS X 10.11.2 via Firewire Thunderbolt adapter. If I turn on one Glyph, no problem mounting ext HD. If I turn on second drive, the first seems to be ejected, lights start blinking on Glyph drives and neither will connect to computer. Doesn't matter which order I turn them on.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sal

FireWire 800 to Thunderbolt Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.