Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Secondary storyline issue in 10.0.6

Hello.

I am having an issue that I don't remember happening in 10.0.5.

I want to move a clip in the secondary storyline while skimming through it in the process.

Normally this happens at the point where your playhead is.

However, since upgrading to 10.0.6, this has become an exercise in frustration because when I move the

clip, the viewer is showing me the footage that is in the primary storyline at the point where the clip in the secondary

storyline connects with the primary storyline.

Did something change? Is there a setting that I am not seeing?

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 11:52 AM

6 replies

Nov 3, 2012 1:25 PM in response to Badboylou

If I move things in the secondary, rearrange the clips, I don't see the primary. I see the secondary and the viewer doesn't update as I drag. The behavior is unchanged between versions.

What's changed is the behavior of the playhead. In previous versions if you selected a clip by clicking on it, like to drag it, the playhead moved to the clip you selected. Now the playhead remains where it is. So if it's outside the secondary and you select and drag a clip in the secondary the viewer show what's underneath the playhead, which may well be the primary storyline.

Message was edited by: Tom Wolsky

Nov 3, 2012 3:30 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I understand about the new playhead behavior but I don't think the issue I'm having is directly related to this new behavior. If it is, it doesn't make any sense.

Let me see if I can explain better. (I've attached three images to illustrate.)

Let's say you have a gap followed by a video clip on the primary. Then you add a video clip to the secondary right at the head of the video clip on the primary. Once this is done, a connection point should have been made between the two clips (image 1 with connection point circled in red).

User uploaded file

Ok, now, put the playhead over the gap so that you don't see anything on the viewer. Now grab the video clip on the secondary and move it left. Even though the playhead is on the gap and doesn't move, the second you start moving the clip the connection point starts acting like the playhead and in the viewer you will see whatever the connection point is moving over on the primary storyline. If the connection point is over the gap, the view will be black (image 2).

User uploaded file

If you move the secondary clip to the right until the connection point is over the video clip on the primary, you will start skimming that clip (image 3).

User uploaded file

I don't remember this being the case before. If I'm not mistaken, if the playhead was over a clip on the secondary and you moved the clip, the viewer would show you skimming through that clip at the point where the playhead was.

I hope this makes sense.

Secondary storyline issue in 10.0.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.