Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help... followed a YouTube instructional... computer now dead!

Hi Everyone,

I'm in a bit of a panic this morning. I bought some memeory and was intent on upgradign my faithful G4 iBook this morning and googled for a tutorial and foudn this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dixI2kz5f-k

I performed the steps as described.

BUT NOW MY COMPUTER WON'T BOOT.

NOTHING!

I'm thinking of suign this jerk YouTuber for posting faulty info, as I did every step as described.

Does anybody have an idea of what the proper steps should be?

Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

Deborah

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 11:31 AM

8 replies

Nov 3, 2012 1:42 PM in response to applehummer

Hello,

There may not be anything wrong with the method they are showing you, but the memory you have put in.

Refer to your iBook user manual http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ibookg4gettingstarted.pdf

This gives you the method for installing memory and which type of memory is required.

The memory slot can accept an SDRAM module that meets the following specifications:

• Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR SO-DIMM) format

• 1.25 inch or smaller

• 128, 256, 512 MB, or 1 gigabyte (GB)

• 200-pin

• PC2100DDR266TypeRAM

Nov 5, 2012 4:30 AM in response to Knucklesmac

Actually you are ALL wrong. Some of the iBook G4s take the PC2100 speed spec chip but the faster ones do not. They need the PC2700 spec chip.

And that YouTube video you mentioned is spot on perfect in its steps and is probably one of the better videos out there.

It has high proudction value, easy to see footage, and audio you can clearly hear. It's not at all like your typical grainy, dark, shaky and out of focus YouTube video.

ADDITONALLY, you can use your PC3200 speed chip.

PC3200 is faster than the PC2700 and PC2100 spec chips.

And faster chips will ALWAYS clock down to slower speeds.

Deborah, in all honesty you must have messed up and probably don't want to admit it.

A PC3200 speed chip is fine. And that guy's video is fine. Better than fine.

<Edited by Host>

Nov 5, 2012 1:29 AM in response to longtimelurker

First of all, we always recommend referring to the user manual in the first instance.

I would advise anyone to consult their user manual before attempting to upgrade. This would be to avoid any situations of clarification.

At no given stage during this discussions have I suggested this person's video is incorrect.

If you read back through to my first comment I wrote "There may not be anything wrong with the method they are showing you, but the memory you have put in"

As for your comment in regards to women, I find that very offensive and rude!

Nov 5, 2012 11:40 AM in response to Knucklesmac

As for my comment about woman. It is a free country, and stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. MOST of the time they are true.

And as far as believing the YouTuber that PC2700 or faster memory works.

Check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzoWyuxhF0A

Anybody that has the tech know how to jailbreak or root a device I'm sure knows what memory a device needs.

Deborah, you simply must have messed up the steps.

Enough said.

<Edited by Host>

Help... followed a YouTube instructional... computer now dead!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.