Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save an adjustment as default

Hi,

when I import my raw files, they are generally a bit too dark. So every image gets a +1.0 exposure to start with. Is it possible to save this as default somehow?

p.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), 2 GHz Core 2 Duo 1TB + 256 GB SSD

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 12:49 PM

Save the adjustment to an Image Adjustment Preset. You can then apply the Preset (even on import, if you want).

Note that for RAW files, you can also alter the settings in the RAW Fine Tuning Brick, and save them as a default that is always applied to files from your camera.

Do you have a hardware-calibrated monitor? If you are making exposure decisions based on sight, it is important that you are correcting to a standard (calibration calibrates your monitor to a standard) and not wasting your time correcting for out-of-standard devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2012 12:49 PM in response to papalapapp

Save the adjustment to an Image Adjustment Preset. You can then apply the Preset (even on import, if you want).

Note that for RAW files, you can also alter the settings in the RAW Fine Tuning Brick, and save them as a default that is always applied to files from your camera.

Do you have a hardware-calibrated monitor? If you are making exposure decisions based on sight, it is important that you are correcting to a standard (calibration calibrates your monitor to a standard) and not wasting your time correcting for out-of-standard devices.

Nov 3, 2012 1:30 PM in response to papalapapp

I use and happily recommend X-Rite's Color Munki Photo as a worthwhile entry into hardware calibration of monitors and printers, but my limited experience shouldn't limit you from finding out about other units. The Color Munki Photo has recently been replaced by a newer unit. Search the forum for "hardware calibration" for more posts on the topic. Whatever you get, make sure it is a true photospectrometer, and that it works with your monitor (e.g.: many NEC monitors have built-in look-up-tables (LUTs) which (afaik) can be accessed and altered only by their own software -- SpectraView 2 -- which does a better job with their monitors. SpectraView works with the Color Munki Photo.) Aside from hardware calibration, there are environmental and other concerns worth addressing. I mention a few of them in this post.

Save an adjustment as default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.