Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing windows 8 on os X 10.6.8 using boot camp

Hi,

I 'm trying to install windows 8 pro on my macbook using bootcamp 3.0.4. I get an error "cannot download windows support software" when i try to download the drivers.

- Can i install windows 8 using bootcamp 3.0.4 ?

- Why am i getting this error.

- Will 20 gb suffice when installing and using windows 8 & visual studio tools?

Thanks

Jay

Model Name: MacBook

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:08 PM

6 replies

Nov 3, 2012 8:17 PM in response to jBourne08

From Apple Support:

4. Does Windows 8 work with Boot Camp 4.0?

Windows 8 is currently not supported with Boot Camp.

3. Which versions of Windows work with Boot Camp 4.0?

You can use Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, or Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate with Boot Camp 4.0. Windows XP and Windows Vista are not supported with Boot Camp 4.0.

Nov 4, 2012 8:56 PM in response to jBourne08

Boot Camp 4.0 is with 10.7 Lion. 10.6 has Boot Camp 3.0 which only runs Windows XP service pack 2 or Vista.

About Boot Camp Software Update 3.1 for Windows 64 bit

This update adds support for Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate), addresses issues with the Apple trackpad, turns off the red digital audio port LED on laptop computers when it is not being used, and supports the Apple wireless keyboard and Apple Magic mouse.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1336

About Boot Camp Software Update 3.1 for Windows 32 bit

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL996

Mar 15, 2013 7:42 AM in response to jBourne08

I just successfully installed Windows 8 on my iMac with almost the exact same specs. Big thing is to make sure that you partition the Hard Drive with Boot Camp. Next is to make sure you install the 32-bit Windows 8. I didn't have success with the 64-bit of Windows 7 so I tried the 32-bit Windows 8 and it worked like a charm.

Installing windows 8 on os X 10.6.8 using boot camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.