Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pushing Paid apps via 10.8 Profile Manager (working solution!)

Hello,

It seems the profile manager solution leaves a lot to be desired. I am quite disappointed there are several limitations that make the software a real deal breaker for it's price. The number one issue other than black/white listing non productive apps is of course, the PAID app Deployment. One would think they would totally OWN this process, but as they have done so many times before, left it up to a 3rd party solution. THANKS @pPl3! only no thanks.

Well I have created a solution that I believe works and would like to share it with everyone.

The model is simple, use Apple configurator to image and deploy the devices, and then manage them via Profile manager with 1 shared apple ID

1. The Master iPad we used was configured with 1 apple id:ipadadmin____@companyname.com. We set up all the Free applications we liked with our settings inputted. We then deleted any unique information such as usernames, wifi networks, etc. so it's a clean image with some custom configuration. We then connected to Apple configurator and created a back up.

2. We loaded any Free apps we wanted preinstalled into the Apple Configurator software and then when prompted used the same apple id as the ipad:ipadadmin____@companyname.com. These free apps were downloaded through itunes on the server using the same apple id. We also added one profile to be loaded, the trust profile and also have a web clip taking us to the "Enroll Device" page on

3. We then connected a brand new ipad, choose to wipe and restore from back up along with updating to the newest IOS. After that configured Wifi and Enrolled the device to the Profile manager server. Then added the device to the proper groups to get policy information downloaded.

4. Now the paid app Test, we purchased one application on the OSX Server's itunes. In order to be compliant with the test, we only purchased one licence, therefore we could only push it out to one device. We uploaded the App into the profile manager and deployed OTA to one of the iPads.

5. We accepted the install and then the App loaded and was able to launch. We removed it and the pushed it to another device freshly configured by profile manager, it worked as well.

6. For future purchases we use the VPP, buy as many apps as we want but only redeem ONE of the codes on the osx server, using the same apple ID as before. We then upload it to profile manager and deploy it to as many devices as we are licensed to.

The only problems I can imagine:

1. If apple doesn't like it, I am under the opinion we are not breaking any licensing compliance. We still have the apps paid for and legally have the licensing for auditing purposes.

2. IF after 10 devices the apple id starts giving us issues. I read there is a limit but it appears the options to manage your devices has been removed from itunes which makes me think, No this will never happen.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 3:54 PM

4 replies

Nov 7, 2012 11:37 AM in response to techknowguy

Leave it to apple to have another company manage their devices. Getting really sick of this company.

Here is the complete list. Most are Cloud based solutions. Like I said, they're maybe 3-4 solutions out of the 30+ that run on the OSX hardware/software. I have meetings and demos with each of them and will report back my findings. Big mistake ever considering profile manager.

http://enterpriseios.com/wiki/Comparison_MDM_Providers

Pushing Paid apps via 10.8 Profile Manager (working solution!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.