Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacG5 w/MacOS 10.5.8 using Mail tool, importing Eudora files

How does a Mac Mail user import the Eudora mail files to Mac Mail on my MacG5 w/MacOS 10.5.8. I have upgraded the Mac Mail tool from the one originally provided with MacOS 10.5.8 to what is called Version 3.6 of Mail. This upgrade was created on 3/3/05 and modfied on 5/2/12.

Power Mac G5 (June 2004), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:48 PM

Hi Bruce,

See if this helps...

https://itservices.stanford.edu/service/emailcalendar/email/eudoramigration/maco sxmail

4 replies

Nov 5, 2012 8:56 PM in response to BDAqua

November 5, 2012

At least is getting me started hopefully down the right track. I discussed this problem with Comcast, my internet provider, and their Level 2 person said that there is a conflict between Apple Safari and Eudora regarding some changes that Eudora made recently. I was hit by the problem late last week and I am finding that others were struck by this problem maybe earlier. Since I am using a MacG5 with MacOS 10.5.8 I can go no furher than Mac OS 10.5.8. Therefore, I will have to solve this migration problem to Apple Mail on this machine and then move a new desktop next year with MacOS 10.8.X.

The problem that started late last week was the Safari error message that statted:

http://jump.eudora.com/jump.cgi?action=support&platform=MacOS&product=Eudora&ver sion=6.2.4.8&topic=query&la=en&qt=Server+not+responding.+1;+&explanation=+++%7B3 7%3A418%7D” because Safari can’t find the server “jump.eudora.com”

I do not know if Eudora will return to their original way which I think did not get Safari in the loop on sending email from Eudora 6.2.4, or whether Safari will make an attempt to fix the problem, since MacOS 10.5.8 is no longer supported. According to Comcast, the phrase "Eudora&version=6.2.4.8&topic=query&la=en&qt=Server" means that the Eudora "Server" now uses Comcast and can't find the "Server".

Does that make sense to you?

I have not used FireFox to see if I can get around this problem, but I would probably have to make Fire Fox my default browser, which would be possible. I was hit by the problem late last week and I am finding that others were struck by this problem earlier. Since I am using a MacG5 with MacOS 10.5.8 I can go no furher than Mac OS 10.5.8. Therefore, I will have to solve this migration problem to Apple Mail on this machine and then move a new desktop next year with MacOS 10.8.X.

I have downloaded Emailchemy and all the information regarding Emailchemy, but have not yet bought this email conversion product nor am I familiar with how they recommend that this conversion take place. In particular, I do not know if I should write "Apple Mail .mbox folders" or IMAP email account and folders" usable by Outlook, Outlook Express, Entourage, Apple Mail, and Thunderbird.

Are there any advantages of using the IMAP formats, rather than the .mbox folders in going from Eudora to Apple Mail?

Please confirms that Emailchemy is currently the best tool to migrate my email folders and attachments (keeping them llinked to the email) directly over to Mac Mail that works on my MacOS 10.5.8 version. Of course, I will go through these folders and toss stuff that I no longer need to get them down to something less than the 2.57 GB that currently exists in my Eudora Mail Folder. I do not use folders in each of the .toc email files. I will also backup my email folders. I can still download email from Comcast to Eudora, but can't send email due to the Safari message listed above. I want to choose the most reliable method to execute the conversion to Apple Mail which minimizes my time and effort. Temporarily, I can go to the Comcast site to send email and Eudora to receive email.

Any further assistance will help me greatly...as I feel overwhelmed with what I might have to go through to get all of my stuff over to Apple Mail.

Thanks ahead of time....Bruce

Nov 5, 2012 9:28 PM in response to Bruce Crawford

I discussed this problem with Comcast, my internet provider, and their Level 2 person said that there is a conflict between Apple Safari and Eudora regarding some changes that Eudora made recently.

Uhh, they're out of touch... there's sadly been no Eudora changes for yeasrs & uears on Macs!?

Does that make sense to you?

Yes, Qualcom & Eudora exists no more. 😟

Since I am using a MacG5 with MacOS 10.5.8 I can go no furher than Mac OS 10.5.8.

Best Browsers for our G5s & 10.4.11/10.5.8 are TenFourFox & SeMonkey, he latter including an eMail client like THunderbird.

TenFourFox & SeaMonkey are the most up to date browser for our PPCs, they even have a G5 optimized version...

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

Are there any advantages of using the IMAP formats, rather than the .mbox folders in going from Eudora to Apple Mail?

Normally, with POP, mail is removed from the server on 1st download, IMAP stats on the server & can be read on many of your devices... AND, you have a remote backup of all eMails.

Post back where we are & any more questions! 🙂

Jan 21, 2013 9:11 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua...thanks for your inputs....but I now have more questions...

I have been too busy on many other topics to continue my attempt to get my Eudora Folders migrated to Apple Mail since November. However, I am now almost ready to make a second attempt.

From your inputs: I prefer to use the POP mode so that all of email resides on my computer after downloading, hence do not want to introduce a new feature by trying to use IMAP at this time. Before I restart my migration to Apple Mail, I want to ask some questions below regarding what Apple Mail features may be inconsistent with my experience with Eudora 6.4.2.

What I have tried to date (Questions in bold italic):

1. I have tried the following without any luck. I opened Apple Mail on my MacG5 10.5.8 PPC system and attempted to convert my Eudora email to Apple Mail. However, this process failed to complete as it appeared to hang at some point. Same failure happened when I tried to migrate my Eudora 6.4.2 mail to Eudora OSE. Does the browser play a role in such a conversion?

a. Or is this problem potentially related to the fact that I have not yet used to TenForFox browser? I do not understand what role the browser plays in getting and sending or migrating email from one tool to another as I was not aware that Eudora depended on a browser until I got the messages described in my 11/5/12 submission.

b. Do you recommend that I move my Eudora files from my 2004 vintage MacG5 with MacOS 10.5.8 to my 2007 vintage MacBook Pro after I upgrade to MacOS 10.6.X? This way I can probably continue using Safari, right? I plan on buying a new Mac desktop this year with 10.8.X, but minimally want to get my mail operational on my MacG5 MaOS 10.5.8 or MacBook Pro with MacOS 10.6.X first.

2. Most of my new email resides on the Comast server, hence will be downloaded when I feel that I have an operational system with all of my old IN, OUT, and mail folders migrated to Apple Mail. How best I insure that Apple Mai will not download email from Comcast AFTER Apple Mail is opened, as this happened the in my first attempt. Eudora 6.4.2 never downloaded email without my asking for such, so the Apple Mail feature surprised me. Can I attempt to control this by setting an Apple Mail option to not download until instructed to do so, perhaps with my internet access disconnected?

3. Most of my email resides in the Eudora folders, but there an IN folder in the Apple Mail and there is an IN folder in Eudora OSE (which also failed to migrate the Eudora 6.4.2 foldere to Eudora OSE). My main desire is to first get the Eudora 6.4.2 folders migrated to Apple Mail. Are there any limitations on the size of the Mail Folders when the migration occurs?

4. Where are the Apple Email and Eudora OSE IN, OUT, and Saved Mail Folders stored when using the POP option? I know where my Eudora 6.4.2 folders are stored and have backed them up on my second hard drive on my MacG5 system.

5. After I get my Eudora 6.4.2 Folders migrated to Apple Mail, then I will want to get the Eudora OSE IN folder migrated to Apple Mail. Is this possible? Is the eventual migration to a new MacOS 10.8.X system possible after I complete the migration from Eudora 6.4.2 to Apple Mail on either my MacG5 PPC MacOS 10.5.8 system or MacBook Pro 10.6.X system?

MacG5 w/MacOS 10.5.8 using Mail tool, importing Eudora files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.