Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud working with outlook on Mac

I cannot believe what I finally learned from Apple support today after hours on the phone. I've been using outlook on a pc with iCloud updating my IOS devices beautifully for nearly a year. I finally took the plunge to get rid of two pc's and move entirely to Mac & bought a MacBook Air. After days of work migrating everything I learned today that iCloud doesn't work with Outlook on the Mac to update contacts and calendars on your iOS devices. You must use iCal and contacts if you want iCloud's capabilities. Unbelievable to me! The apple salesperson knew exactly what I wanted to continue to do. It took forever to get this out of support today. I can't believe Apple thinks they can force businesses and individuals to stop using Outlook. What a crazy strategy to win new customers over from the pc and then pull the rug out from under them. Is this really true?

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 7:13 PM

Outlook (for Mac) does not support iCloud as you found out, but that decision was Microsofts, not Apple.

Here's Microsofts statement.

This article contains information about the compatibility of Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011 and Apple iCloud. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2648915?wa=wsignin1.0)

Outlook for Mac 2011 does not support Apple iCloud calendar (CalDAV) and contact (CardDAV) synchronization.

Outlook for Mac 2011 does support iCloud Mail. For steps on how to configure your iCloud email account in Outlook for Mac 2011, go to the "More Information" section of this article.

So, you can use Mail, Contacts and Calendars (which are included with your Mac) and stop using Outlook, or stop using iCloud, your choice.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2012 7:13 PM in response to cindy1932

Outlook (for Mac) does not support iCloud as you found out, but that decision was Microsofts, not Apple.

Here's Microsofts statement.

This article contains information about the compatibility of Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011 and Apple iCloud. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2648915?wa=wsignin1.0)

Outlook for Mac 2011 does not support Apple iCloud calendar (CalDAV) and contact (CardDAV) synchronization.

Outlook for Mac 2011 does support iCloud Mail. For steps on how to configure your iCloud email account in Outlook for Mac 2011, go to the "More Information" section of this article.

So, you can use Mail, Contacts and Calendars (which are included with your Mac) and stop using Outlook, or stop using iCloud, your choice.

Nov 3, 2012 8:21 PM in response to cindy1932

Thank you for your answer. I really appreciate it. Seems like apple should alert their salespeople. It appears this happened in 2011. I just spoke to another Apple support person who seemed surprised by this news and said I thought the point of iCloud was to support multiple platforms.

On a side note, I tried to get more information on the Apple contact application to see if I could get rid of Outlook - nothing on support site,no manuals, and support said most documentation technical and he'd send me some description of features which I haven't received yet. He suggested I look in HELP for description of each task I want to do. Incredible. I just want a list of features! Anyway, it appears from help that you can do mail merge with existing word letters, but it appeared to say that you need to create a source document and input each contact. I send out 800 letters. Doesn't seem feasible. If this is true, I'll have to give up on the Mac idea and go back to PC to get the functionality I want. I like iCloud updating my IOS devices, and I can't give up Outlook.

Thanks for your help

Cindy

Nov 14, 2012 9:08 AM in response to Jocasta12

Jocasta12 wrote:

Thanks anyway, it's so annoying for the Outlook User to not even receive the email invite, we could live with the event not turning up in the Outlook Calendar, but not getting the email makes the iCal event invitation feature totally redundant. pah.

If anyone knows a work around I'd be very happy to hear it.

This is not happening to many users, not happening to me either so it may be hard to find a workaround. iCloud email is a conventional Imap acount, there is no reason for the email not to be delivered so the issue may be local to the copies of Outlook, a Microsoft issue so it may take a while.

Nov 14, 2012 9:14 AM in response to Csound1

Is there any way of seeing whether iCal has sent the email out? Is there a log somewhere, I've checked the "Sent" folder in Mail and none of them appear there.

I've tested it with other email accounts and it works fine with people who are using Mail and iCal obviously, but in our experience Outlook Users (both PC and mac) just don't receive the email invitation. Very frustrating as most of our clients are using Outlook on PCs which is the main reason why this one person has insisted on sticking with Outlook on mac (despite having gone through huge problems with it).

Nov 14, 2012 9:35 AM in response to Csound1

Sorry, I've just done some more tests here and he doesn't get the email on his iPad either when the event invitation is sent from my iCal to one particular address, but the invite shows up when sent to his gmail account. So it's not an Outlook issue at all, sorry to mislead.

It looks like it's an email issue or a problem with my iCloud account maybe, will invetigate further.

iCloud working with outlook on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.