Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

General questions

I was thinking of trying out aperature as I'm ready to improve my photo editing skills and want to shoot in RAW to have more editing options after the fact. I'm a little reluctant to buy it as I'm wondering if the learning curve is as steep as the old FCP. I've focused on video editing for so long I'm ready to improve my still shot edits. I had PSE on my old machine but even felt that was more convoluted than it needed to be. Apple usually has user friendly products, but I just don't know.

Thanks in advance,

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:38 PM

4 replies

Nov 4, 2012 5:41 AM in response to Yer_Man

I can do everything in iPhoto and feel like I want a little more. I consider steep a program that can't be learned by poking around for awhile. I remember starting at a blank timeline on the ok'd FCP unclear on how to get footage in the program.

I'm savvy I just don't want to have to watch a years worth of tutorials to learn it.

I make tutorials for people at my work for iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and others. I just wanted to make sure I new what I buying before I bought. That's what happened when I bought photo shop elements.

Thanks,

Nov 4, 2012 6:51 AM in response to Medickep

If you are familiar with iPhoto you can get easily started by browsing the first seven or so chapters of the Aperture 3 User Manual http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/

to get the general idea, also have a look at Kirby Krieger's short introduction:

The Well-Trod Path: a Beginner's Guide to how Aperture's major parts inter-relate

One big difference between iPhoto and Aperture is, that you can configure quite a lot features,but some are not really usuable, until you do configure them. But it is really worth it; the search features and keywords are more versatile, you can structure your library more freely, you have advanced options to adjust your images and more control over the raw processing.

And you can use iPhoto and Aperture side by side - each application can open the libraries of the other application, so you can always fall back on iPhoto, until you have mastered Aperture.

General questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.