Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard wireless or usb??

i use logitech keyboard ps2 and connected to usb connector,,, and the mac mini cant detect the keyboard while startup, and its getting worse, whenever i plug anything to usb port (modem , flashdisk, etc) the keyboard start to disconnect (mostly)

so i have a plan to buy new keyboard (wireless? or usb??), but since the apple keyboard is too expensive for me, i want to buy another brand (logitech??? maybe)

what is the advantage and disadvantage using another keyboard ?

and when exactly the mac mini start to detect a keyboard?(i m setting my mac mini to no password, coz if i had . the keyboard is unable when typing password while startup)

Pleaseee help me.... T_T

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 11:44 PM

If the Bluetooth wireless keyboard you want to buy has got an external Bluetooth receiver, buy an USB keyboard. Only some Bluetooth wireless keyboards are detected when your computer is starting, and if OS X fails to start, you need to press some keys to solve this, so you should buy a USB one. A Mac detects a Bluetooth keyboard just when you press the start button

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2012 11:44 PM in response to Rumi ableh

If the Bluetooth wireless keyboard you want to buy has got an external Bluetooth receiver, buy an USB keyboard. Only some Bluetooth wireless keyboards are detected when your computer is starting, and if OS X fails to start, you need to press some keys to solve this, so you should buy a USB one. A Mac detects a Bluetooth keyboard just when you press the start button

Nov 4, 2012 11:46 AM in response to Rumi ableh

Any will work, note that the location of Windows, ctrl and alt keys may be puzzling to you: win key is Apple key, and ctrl and alt have a different location as compared to Win [= Apple, i.e. command] key.

If you decided for a non-Apple keyboard (I would try a sh keyboard first), you may perhaps change the location of some initial keys in Sys pregs/keyboard/modifier keys and also to try a 3rd party utility like DoubleCommand or KeyRemap4MacBook.pkg (useful for any keyboard, not for MacBooks only).

As a user of various keyboards, just one more word: Apple offers the best and comfortable keyboards, you will notice the difference immediately. If you could afford a mac, perhaps you can afford at least a sh Apple keyboard. Give a try to this first.

Nov 5, 2012 1:54 AM in response to Cattus Thraex

thx for the advice,,,

i already buy logitech ultra flat keyboard (usb ), and so far so good.... i'm just curious,if i use password when login startup,,, im not sure it will detect the keyboard so ican type password then.

any idea?

what should i do when it goes like that? coz last time i must bring my mac mini to apple service . to crack password T_T

keyboard wireless or usb??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.