Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are all my apps missing in iTunes when I backed everything up to my computer?

I just upgraded to the iPhone 5 and backed everything up as required (iCloud & computer). However, all my apps are gone from iTunes and non of my apps transfered to my iPhone 5. Can someone tell me how to retrieve my all my apps?

Thank you

Joe

iMac

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 5:09 AM

6 replies

Nov 4, 2012 5:23 AM in response to joefezz

Just to clarify: Did your iTunes previously have copies of the apps in it? Backing up to iTunes only saves a backup of the app data and not the apps themselves.

If you backed up the prior device to iCloud, then if you were to restore from iCloud on the iPhone 5 using the old device's backup, then the iPhone 5 will redownload all of the apps from the iTunes store without having to connect to iTunes.

iCloud Backup and Restore Overview: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4859?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Nov 4, 2012 5:27 AM in response to ck2875

I hope so. I backed up my old iPhone 4 to my imac and selected both back up to the iCloud & computer. I then purchased the iPhone 5 came back home to restore everything and all my apps free & purchased are gone from my iTunes Apps. I did sell back my iPhone 4 and they deleted everything from my old phone, but I had already backed up to iTunes.

Nov 4, 2012 5:40 AM in response to joefezz

Alright, your best bet might to be to use the restore from iCloud option, as it will redownload all the apps from your prior device (definitely make sure you're connected to WiFi when you're attempting to do it so that you don't eat through your data plan).

First you'll want to verify that your old iPhone 4 backup is still in iCloud (you can check from your iPhone 5):

• On your Home Screen, tap Settings
  • Tap iCloud
  • Tap Storage & Backup
  • Tap Manage Storage
  • Select the device you want to manage

You should see a backup for the iPhone 4 if there is one. If you tap on that backup, it will give details such as when it was last backed up and the backup size. You'll just want to know that the last backup was able to complete. If you have the iPhone 4 backup still, then you're good to go.

If you decide to proceed with the restore (definitely your call and not mine), go all the way back out to the first Settings page.

In Settings, tap:

• General
  • Reset
  • Erase All Content and Settings

How content is restored to a new device

When you go through Setup Assistant on a new device running iOS 5 or later, choose "Restore from iCloud Backup" and enter your iCloud account and password. You will see the three most recent backups for each of the devices on which you enabled Backup. Choose which backup to restore from.

After your device restarts, your settings and accounts are restored and Backup starts downloading your purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, Camera Roll, and other content.

Note: You may be prompted to enter the passwords for all accounts enabled on your device. You may also be prompted to enter the password for for any iTunes, iBookstore and App Store accounts for which iCloud Backup is attempting to restore content.

A progress bar will appear underneath the apps that are being downloaded. To prioritize the restore of a specific app, tap its icon. Restore will attempt to download the same version of the app that you had installed previously. If that version is no longer available, the latest version of the app will be restored.

Support Page: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4859?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Jan 8, 2014 12:58 AM in response to joefezz

So I plugged in my phone just now and a new verison of iTunes started setting itself up. Not what I planned to do this evening. I NEVER authorized any download or installation of an update.

Sigh, I unplug my phone before it can get (uh) messed up. I dig through the iTunes controls to get things back to the way they were before (menu and control bars visible, etc.).

Silly me. I just remembered I had downloaded songs on my iPad that were not on my phone or in iTunes. So I plug in my iPad and it offers to transfer purchases. So far so good.

The next thing I always do when syncing is update apps. Surprise, there are N O A P P S in iTunes. I turn to Google and see the suggestion to sign in to my iTunes account. I do that, restart iTunes a couple times, and STILL NO APPS.

That's not the worst. I see in iTunes that my iPad is mostly empty. I check preferences and see they are all wiped out. I have to go thought all that crap again with my email and books and other content.

Plus, all of my movies have been erased from my iPad. I look in iTunes and see only three movies. Then I find 70 "home videos," which is what Apple apparently calls anything not purchased from Apple.

I just downloaded the previous version of iTunes. Hopefully I can roll things back to a time when I at least had the illusion that my devices and my computer were acutally under my control.

Jan 8, 2014 1:26 AM in response to joefezz

And another thing: So at least my movies, I mean "home videos," are still in iTunes, unlike my apps, which have disappeared. I laboriously go through all my choices for what I want on my iPad, and notice ALL the PDFs are GONE! I have to hunt around on my computer to put them back into iTunes.

Then when I'm ready to sync, I get a warning that the iPad is associated with another user account. ***?

Google says this is just Applespeak for...oh who cares?

I just want my devices back to the way they were two hours ago and I want these two hours back!

Jan 24, 2015 2:17 PM in response to Kedavis

Kedavis, I'm in exactly the same boat, with no paddles (i.e. missing all apps in iTunes), and I think I did the same thing. I disconnected my iPad2 mid-sync. I always sync via connecting to iTunes. Here are some additional issues/details:

Missing music playlists in iTunes and on iPad: some of my music playlists were duplicated (and empty) and others were simply empty. My music files all seem to be present, just some of the playlists where so many of them appeared are missing. Some of these playlists had hundreds of songs, carefully chosen over years, so recreating them is not something I want to do unless absolutely necessary. And ALL playlists are missing from my iPad2. Please help!

Missing Apps in iTunes: I also noticed that app my apps are missing! Only in iTunes. They are present on the iPad2 and they work, though they all want me to log in as if they were newly installed. I find that odd, and I am really worried about all the missing apps in my iTunes! I want them back so I can update them and then re-sync them to my iPad2 as well as my iPhone 5S.

Duplicate Podcasts in iTunes: the listing on the left side in iTunes shows duplicate podcast listings, all the duplicates are marked "Not subscribed" and I can't figure out how to remove those duplicates. The podcast subscriptions are also listed, and I'm updating those and listening to them. On my iPad2, my podcasts appear as they should, though I'm noticing old episodes that I've already listened to are reappearing.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Why are all my apps missing in iTunes when I backed everything up to my computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.