Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help with upcoming travel

Hello All,

I did a search before asking but all I could find were questions about travel adapters.

I have an iphone 5 and an ipad 3 and I am traveling to the Netherlands and Budapest. I'm just a little confused about what I can and can't use while gone that won't cost me an arm and a leg. I will add the AT&T world traveler program for while I'm gone for phone calls but I'm confused about wi-fi. If I'm in a wifi area will I be able to text/imessage people without a charge? What about searching the interenet or reading email?

I get a little confused with what to turn off on the devices to make sure I'm not getting roaming charges etc. I need to turn off the 4g on both devices correct?

Please forgive the naive questions, I don't generally travel outside the US and I'm trying to plan ahead.

Thanks in advance!

Stephanie

iPhone 5

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 5:35 AM

If using WiFi, you will only be charged anything if the establishment providing the WiFi access charges. If they do, you wouldn't be able to use it without paying them. If your hotel, nearest Starbucks or McDonalds provides free access to Wifi for customers then there is no charge. You can do anything over WiFi abroad that you can at home, including using iMessage and FaceTime, email and web browsing.

Make sure 3G/4G data / Cellular data is turned off in your phone to ensure you get no roaming data charges.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2012 5:35 AM in response to Stephanie Patterson

If using WiFi, you will only be charged anything if the establishment providing the WiFi access charges. If they do, you wouldn't be able to use it without paying them. If your hotel, nearest Starbucks or McDonalds provides free access to Wifi for customers then there is no charge. You can do anything over WiFi abroad that you can at home, including using iMessage and FaceTime, email and web browsing.

Make sure 3G/4G data / Cellular data is turned off in your phone to ensure you get no roaming data charges.

Please help with upcoming travel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.