Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad memory shows it's full - it was only half full when I last connected to iTunes

Since I bought my iPad 3 (64 GB) and connected it to iTunes, the memory used has, until today, been about half full. Today, when i connected the iPad to update the iOS software, it shows, suddenly, that I have less than 0.1 GB left, yet I've downloaded very little in the last week since it was last connected, and certainly no more than I usually do in any week. Any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 7:06 AM

4 replies

Nov 4, 2012 7:28 AM in response to TomHarris1964

I suspect that your storage capacity is being taken up by "other". You can verify this by looking at the capacity bar in iTunes when your iPad is connected to your computer. "other" is basically all non media content like app data and documents, Safari History and bookmarks, Notes, Calendar entries, text messages, email messages, contacts and so on.

If the "other" is taking up a huge amount of space, something is corrupt on your iPad. Restoring the iPad may be necessary to make this right. Sometimes the only cure is to restore to factory settings and then rebuild your iPad by adding the content back onto it - not be restoring from a backup. Sometimes restoring from a backup can help this situation as well. You may have to experiment and see what works.

You can read this as well and see if recalibrating how the storage is calculated helps.

http://appchronicles.com/04/too-much-valuable-space-taken-up-by-other-category-h eres-how-to-fix-that/

Try the tips in the articles first, restore from a backup if that doesn't work, and restore to factory settings if nothing else does the trick.

How to backup and restore from a backup

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Nov 4, 2012 1:15 PM in response to TomHarris1964

How much space is your Other using? You may be able to reduce.

How Do I Get Rid Of The “Other” Data Stored On My iPad Or iPhone?

http://tinyurl.com/85w6xwn

With an iOS device, the “Other” space in iTunes is used to store things like documents, settings, caches, and a few other important items. If you sync lots of documents to apps like GoodReader, DropCopy, or anything else that reads external files, your storage use can skyrocket. With iOS 5, you can see exactly which applications are taking up the most space. Just head to Settings > General > Usage, and tap the button labeled Show All Apps. The storage section will show you the app and how much storage space it is taking up. Tap on the app name to get a description of the additional storage space being used by the app’s documents and data. You can remove the storage-hogging application and all of its data directly from this screen, or manually remove the data by opening the app. Some applications, especially those designed by Apple, will allow you to remove stored data by swiping from left to right on the item to reveal a Delete button.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

iPad memory shows it's full - it was only half full when I last connected to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.