Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Load Balance Between Wifi and Ethernet?

Can I Restrict My Mac Wifi Only For Internet Usage? And the other else through my ethernet; all my file sharing between mac in my house goes through ethernet only.

Hope an experience sharing, and Looking forward for answer.

Thankyou

Regards;

Theo

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Server

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 9:09 AM

4 replies

Nov 4, 2012 12:23 PM in response to theo sudarja

Hi,

The other Thread you point to has two Connections to the Internet and wants to balance those.

(he is also mixing Proxy and non Proxy connections)

I am not sure from your post that this is what you are trying to do.

You can connect by WiFi to the Internet and then Share that via Ethernet to other computers.

See System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing.

A more common way would be to a router or Cable Modem that only had one Ethernet Port and then Share over WiFi.

Basically it would be In to the computer via one method and shared via another.

If you do have a server version of the OS you will do better to ask in the Server Community.

User uploaded file
8:23 PM Sunday; November 4, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Nov 4, 2012 3:11 PM in response to theo sudarja

I read it as wanting to use wifi only for internet connections and ethernet only for LAN.

That's only possible if they are on seperate routers. Ideally they want to use different IP subnets, too.

For instance wifi router connected to modem handing out DHCP addresses in the 192.168.0.2 to .255 range, with a seperate hardwired router/switch using 192.168.255.2 to .255 or 10.0.0.2 to .255 (the x.x.x.1 address being the router itself).

Nov 5, 2012 12:22 PM in response to noondaywitch

Hi,

If the Mac is sharing one form of Connection such a Ethernet that it becomes a router for the other devices.

However as it is then easier for iPhones and iPads to connect if the share if the WiFi I suggested that as well.

Yours is another valid Method though.

AS Mac Minis were sold with Server Installed on them I an wondering if that is what was meant by the tagging.

User uploaded file
8:21 PM Monday; November 5, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

How to Load Balance Between Wifi and Ethernet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.